AJimmy419

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello everyone. It's been a while since I've been on this site, but I use to have a Red Sea Max nano tank and thoroughly enjoyed it, but that tank broke down a bunch of years ago.

I'm looking to start a new tank and I believe I will be purchasing the AIO 16g Nuvo. I just love how clean it looks.

Wondering if there are any experts out there that can share a little info about the tank. The basic questions. How it works? Easy to maintain? Worth the buy?

Most importantly, I want to know everything I would need to buy additionally to just purchasing the tank. I had the Red Sea Max and had to buy a lot of additional items. A lot of them from InTank media. Basically, I want to figure out how much money I will need to spend before even getting the tank up and running.

Additional Items I will to purchase?:

(1). Fan. (Does it have to be a Vortech? They're a little too expensive.) (Could I just get the Hydor Koralia Nano 425?).

(2). Media Baskets. Do I need to get 2 media baskets from InTank for this tank?

(3). Fuge Basket. Do I need to get a Fuge Light?

(4). Skimmer. Do you think I need one for such a small tank? If so, do you recommend the Tunze DOC 9001 Nano Protein Skimmer that they sell on InTank?

(5). Heater. Any specific heater you recommend?

(6). Lighting. Anything additional lighting I need to get? Or is the stock lighting good enough?

(7). Should I get the Innovative Marine Spin Stream Return Nozzle?

(8). Do I need to get any additional pump.

(9). Should I get the Innovative Marine MiniMax All-In-One Media Reactor?

(10). Do I need the Tunze Nano Osmolator 3152?

Should I just get everything from InTank? Obviously, everything I mention relates back to InTank and everything I see on their website they are selling for the AIO Nuvo 16. Or is there a site with better prices?

I am willing to spend the money for anything additional I would need for this tank to work as perfectly as possible.

Thanks everyone. I'm really looking forward to getting back into this hobby. Any help would be much appreciated.

Sorry for the long post.

dherrera83

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
The AIO is a great option if you are getting back in. Get the reactor it works great, heater, you will need just one media basket (you can put some filter floss and carbon in the other chamber), the koralia is fine too, and finally a good light like a AI nano. You can skip everything else for equipment. You will need another pump tho to mix salt and 2 extra 5g buckets one for mixing and the other for water storage or to add/remove water.

Oh and get an RODI unit for water.

THink that's it but im sure I might have missed a thing or two and someone will chip in soon.

viplok

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
(1). Fan. (Does it have to be a Vortech? They're a little too expensive.) (Could I just get the Hydor Koralia Nano 425?).

get a jebao wp25 will have tons of flow for this tank. or even a wp10 will do

optional. its a good idea, but u can just drop media bag in the 2nd chamber. it will be good enough.

fuge in AIO is too small. waste of money IMO

(4). Skimmer. Do you think I need one for such a small tank? If so, do you recommend the Tunze DOC 9001 Nano Protein Skimmer that they sell on InTank?

get the best skimmer that fits. i think nuvo have a ghost skimmer. depends on what you keep. for softcoral water change weekly will be sufficient. if your thinking sps get a good skimmer.

idk.... whatever ur wallet can afford 200w is good.

(6). Lighting. Anything additional lighting I need to get? Or is the stock lighting good enough?

depends on what you keep. zoa,leather,fish. stock is good.

sps perpare to drop $$$

if you have strong wave maker like jebao or vortech.. no

for spare... why not

unless u want biopellet or you have extra cash. media bags will do.

yes, unless you want to top off every day

fredro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I would say a 200w heater is WAY overkill
For a 16g tank!!! 75-100w would be max IMO! If it says stuck on for any reason, your tank will COOK in 20 minutes!! The small Jebao power head will be fine. IMO a tiny fuge may not be much, but a small ball of chaeto will grow and effectively remove nitrates and phosphates from the system, especially if you're not running a skimmer. I think it can't hurt and really saw chaeto growth in my nano. Hang a back of carbon over the back chamber and if needed, another small one of GFO, if tank contents require, ie. SPS. I wouldn't run GFO if you're just keeping softies, Zoas n some easy LPS, as they don't really mind a little extra nutrients in my experiences. Just remember, keep it simple and don't fix it if it aint broken.

viplok

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I would say a 200w heater is WAY overkill
For a 16g tank!!! 75-100w would be max IMO! If it says stuck on for any reason, your tank will COOK in 20 minutes!! The small Jebao power head will be fine. IMO a tiny fuge may not be much, but a small ball of chaeto will grow and effectively remove nitrates and phosphates from the system, especially if you're not running a skimmer. I think it can't hurt and really saw chaeto growth in my nano. Hang a back of carbon over the back chamber and if needed, another small one of GFO, if tank contents require, ie. SPS. I wouldn't run GFO if you're just keeping softies, Zoas n some easy LPS, as they don't really mind a little extra nutrients in my experiences. Just remember, keep it simple and don't fix it if it aint broken.

:thrash: ops. right. never thought about that, luxury of having a controller

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0

Hydor is fine but I like the varied flow of a Jebao in your case rw4

You can run media in a bag or make your own shelves another option would be a small reactor like the new one from Aquafx (Misty) or cpr makes one that will probably fit in a back chamber.

I wouldn't bother not enough room.

Water changes will be enough or also look into the Hydor Slim Skim.

ViaAqua titanium with controller.

For corals you need something more. You could get away with par36 led's if you wanted or get something fancier even up to a Kessil 150/160 or Hydra 26 depending your budget and what you want to keep.

Not if you get a wavemaker instead of constant pump. I do like 'educators' as they are called in certain applications.

I think I put a dc2000 in one of those and its nice because adjustable and quite. If pump is too loud also look into Cobalt MJ pumps as they are better than the Marineland MJs.

No experience with this but see above.

Any ATO will do or just mark a line if you will be able to top of manually daily.

AJimmy419

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks for all your help everyone.

At this point, from all your guys advice, I should get the following:

1. Fan
2. Heater
3. Media Basket
4. New lighting (cause i will eventually want to have some nice coral) (Any suggestions on lighting would be helpful. Preferably exact models so I can plug it into Amazon and see how much they cost.)
5. Skimmer: from the sound of all your advices, it does not seem like it is absolutely necessary to get a skimmer. But if you think otherwise, let me know.

The plan at first is just to get live rock, couple clowns and some soft coral. And maybe one of those teal/rainbow gobys. And then slowly add to that as time goes on.

Random question, but do you guys know if one of those jaw fishes (that dig a hole in the sand and stick their head out) can work in a Nuvo 16 gallon?

Thanks again.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: