randysnyc

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a 46 gallon bow front tank and stand for a great price and want to go for a nice saltwater tank with rock, coral and fish. I also purchased Eshopps psk-100 skimmer and rs-75 sump along with a return pump and pump for the skimmer. What's next?? I am from Fresh Meadows, Queens and would appreciate any help anyone can give me. I know I might also need some help setting this all up so those services would be great as well. For now I need help getting all the items I would need before that would happen. So far I have found this site to be awesome so I am sure I will get some great help.

Aquageek

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to decide on what type of salt mix or premixed salt you want to use. I have a 45 and I use Nutrseawater- not as cheap as mixing it the n your phone wn but I like this stuff. However, I used petco seawater when I cycled the tank.

Purchased partially cured live rock. At least 50 pounds and some sand- I like caribe sea sand- enough for a 2-3 inch sand bed.

Get good quality test kits and get this baby up and cycling.

When your nitrates peak do a huge water change and then you ou are ready to go.

I use a 24 watt UV sterilizer ( some disagree) but I th no they are great. Don't addd that until after tank is fully cycled

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Good morning and welcome to the forums, you have your choices of FOWLR ( less maintenance ) going full REEF which requires more patients and devotion, not to mention some more tech.

1st off how much experience do you have with aquariums and keeping livestock weather it be fresh or brackish or salt.

And next....what kind of livestock ( community fish, aggressive fish ) ....what kind of coral ( I would use imitation coral cause it easy to clean and low care )

I'm in 11419 if you need so me help.

mrdobie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just stay slow and steady. ask a lot of questions to a lot of people and make your own decision. just like a butt every one has one and every one uses it. not always the right way though. good luck and take you time...

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Good, maintenance shouldn't be an issue then. Do you have salt yet? I would suggest some instant ocean sea salt...maybe a 5g bucket since you will be doing some major water changes while it cycles , you could always get some cycle booster from the LFS to help it along. You won't be needing a skimmer yet...you have a few weeks until the cycle starts

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Go ahead and set your tank and wet/dry filter with just tap water and leave it for a few days to make sure drain and return are working properly and also make sure you have no leaks or an unleveled tank.....then come back and upload a picture of both the tank and wet dry and we'll go from there.

randysnyc

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went and bought the water pre made today as well as my overflow and all hoses. Going to add my sand, then water, then my live rock tomorrow. I will be using an Eshopps sump and skimmer. I was thinking about getting some bio balls to put inside the sump. Anything else you can think of?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: