leov

Mr. Salty
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hello there. Feeling like a newbie right now!!
I was a pretty decent hobbyist a few years back with a gorgeous 120 gallon Teneacor tank. Lost it all due to a divorce but before leaving, sold stock and took out all the bells and whistles and stored it all . :)
I just now inherited an RSM 130. Quite dirty but with 2" of sand left on the bottom. The guy had a coral and fish set up for 5 years, but I believe got bored or possibly couldn't keep up with the maintenance.
I so far took sand out and put it into a10 gal tank with fresh saltwater, heater and small power head to move water around. I'm assuming their a lot og good biology in there. Already noticed a few tiny star fish on the glass? I think thats what they're called... Anyway, planning on putting this thing back together as soon as I can get it cleaned properly. Any suggestions on cleaning it properly? I don't believe I should over clean it but was hoping for some suggestions. Also, I knew nothing of these tanks till I picked it up. Pretty excited about this and even more so that it has a cult following! Would also love to connect my chiller and put in a 5 gallon bucket (sump) to store RODI water and have a top off system again. I've read that the existing skimmer that comes with it is not so good. Would prefer to not have an external skimmer if possible. Would like to keep it a bit more simpler than in my previous life! I used to have my RODI line running through the walls to my sump below the tank. I definitely do not have that luxury now. So what to do with my old 20 gallon custom sump?? Any ideas on all or any of my questions would be really appreciated! Thanks

Attachments

• RS130 tank first pic.jpg
    RS130 tank first pic.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 244

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
I would get rid of that og biological in the sand. Once you stir it up it releases all that. Instead I would clean it if you want to reuse it. You can use regular tap water and do a final rinse with rodi. Also those little starfish are a nuisance starfish that only harlequin shrimp will eat.

BKLYNREEF123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Put tap water and imo 2 gallons of vinegar in that cube and run it hard. +1 on c mantis about the sand its full of crap. if you must, clean and re use it. I dont want to burst your bubble, and am happy you are back. Hold onto the 20L sump you will probably want it sooner than later. Just saying

Last edited by a moderator:

leov

Mr. Salty
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Put tap water and imo 2 gallons of vinegar in that cube and run it hard. +1 on c mantis about the sand its full of crap. if you must, clean and re use it. I dont want to burst your bubble, and am happy you are back. Hold onto the 20L sump you will probably want it sooner than later. Just saying

I'm sorry, I'm confused what is a "+ 1 c mantis".
And are you suggesting I throw out the live sand. It wasn't sitting around very long. The tank was stocked with live rock, corals and fish up until two weeks ago. The guy just wanted out.

BKLYNREEF123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
usually reusing sand is more work than its worth. The old sand gets full of detritus and can be problematic to reuse. Its often easier to just get new sand. You are not holding onto anything of much bacterial value there.

leov

Mr. Salty
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks guys. Oh well regarding the sand, It seemed like the right thing to do :(
I'll follow the advice given. Regarding my old coral live rocks,(now dead rock), They've been in a dry bucket for over three years, with this last winter sitting outside. Do I still really need to scrub down the pieces I will be trying to use? I was so excited to save these pieces. Collected them over a 15 year period. lots of beautiful pieces that I was told years ago (when bucket leaked out) that I would be able to revitalize these by adding live sand and a few small pieces of fresh live rock.. Any thoughts here. thanks everyone

BAD FISH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
Just start new. clean with some ro water a razor and Mr clean magic eraser ,the original. New sand if your gonna do sand. let me know when your ready for some frags I got some easy palys and stuff for ya. good luck and welcome to the community

Chefjpaul

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
+1 on scrapping sand.

As far as your rock;
I would personally soak it in RODI or salt water for a few days and test the chemical levels of ammonia and PO4.(Scrubbed first).

Based in those levels you could either just go and start cycling and add live rock if you choose, or if it is very high in PO4, do a quick acid bath in vinegar or muric to rid of, if necessary, just to get a better grip on unforeseen problems.

If your showing ammonia, at least you'll know where to start with the amount of ammonia source for the initial cycle.

There are several way to go about it, just depends on your comfort and patience levels.

Google build threads involved with this particular tank or ones very similar, you should find many ideas as far as equipment and mods that people have been successful with.

Good luck.

Last edited:

leov

Mr. Salty
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
levels

+1 on scrapping sand.

As far as your rock;
I would personally soak it in RODI or salt water for a few days and test the chemical levels of ammonia and PO4.(Scrubbed first).

Based in those levels you could either just go and start cycling and add live rock if you choose, or if it is very high in PO4, do a quick acid bath in vinegar or muric to rid of, if necessary, just to get a better grip on unforeseen problems.

If your showing ammonia, at least you'll know where to start with the amount of ammonia source for the initial cycle.

There are several way to go about it, just depends on your comfort and patience levels.

Google build threads involved with this particular tank or ones very similar, you should find many ideas as far as equipment and mods that people have been successful with.

Good luck.

I feel like an idiot but can you point me to a chart to determine what the levels should be . Specifically for this scenario.
Also, can you give me a better understanding or explanation for "if it is very high in PO4, do a quick acid bath in vinegar or muric to rid of, if necessary, just to get a better grip on unforeseen problems"

Chefjpaul

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
When I cycle dry rock, any, I just like to get an idea where its at.

Soak is in salt water and test to see if ammonia shows up. Meaning this should give you a better idea of how much more of an ammonia source to add to start.
You usualy want to be at ~2-3ppm

http://www.reefaquarium.com/2012/cycling-a-marine-aquarium/

Secondly,I personally like to test for phosphate. I like to start the system very clean.
If any significant anount of phosphate is registering, this would be a good time to eradicate the problem. Sometimes this isn't an issue.

Some things for depleting the phosphate are to just run GFO, can get expensive.
Another option is to do an acid bath / wash.

(I would google this process, good videos out there as well, I prefer vinegar).
Just be cautious with this, its easy, just time consuming, but I find effective,
Lots of rinsing involved.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: