Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I am waiting for my 29g tank to finish cycling, but in the meantime I'm trying to figure out what order to put the fish I want into the tank.

Currently, my fish plan is (in alphabetical order):

firefish
flame angel
mated pair of neon gobies
royal gramma
wrasse (reef-safe, of indeterminate nature - I really like some of the cleaner wrasses)

At some point after my tank is better established, I'd like to have a starry blenny, but I know I need to wait until I have algae and things for him to eat.

So, of these fish, which do you think I should put in first (or at the same time)?

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
i would leave the flame or limit your list. if you decide to get the flame add him last. i would also leavethe royal gramma out.

my vote is on the firefish, gobies and wrasses.

ezee

Rating - 94.7%
18   1   0
Lissa,

All great advice previous. I personally would go for the angel and just make sure your system can handle it. Get a decent skimmer, work on some nutrient export plans and feed carefully. As was stated before, the angel should likely go last and you should go slow.

When you buy the mated pair of neon gobies, try to make sure they are really mated. If the LFS or online store does not make sure of that, you will have a row in your tank. You can probably QT them and watch to see if they start fighting, getting them out of a tank full of rock and corals will be a lot more of a pain.

Also, be careful about the cleaner wrasses, many don't make it in smaller systems. Some wrasses are much more aggressive and still others tend to jump out of the tank, as many reefers have relayed to me. Research the wrasse species you are getting carefully.

E

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I have an AquaC 120 EV skimmer on a 29g tank with 10g sump. Unfortunately, the sump is too small for both the skimmer I have and a fuge. I know that the bio load that I'm talking about is a little large, but I figured since I've got a skimmer that's for tanks from 40 - 150 gallons, that I could handle a slightly higher bioload if I fish add slowly. Is this wrong?

ezee

Rating - 94.7%
18   1   0
Lissa,

I personally think you will be fine. Just make sure to add slowly and give your tank a chance to keep up. As you add, keep an eye on what is happening in the tank and it will let you know if the bioload is too much, watch for algae blooms late in the game, ammonia/nitrite/nitrate spikes and aggression.

Keep in mind the quality of the water will affect the kinds of coral you will be able to keep. So if you want a heavy bioload get corals that can adapt.

E

DonCisco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It is hard to keep wrasses in a small tank. I had a very small 4 line wrasse, but unfortunately, it didn't survive more than a month. I would stick with the recommendations that they gave you before. And, keep an eagle eye on your parameters. Best of luck

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I wouldn't put the flame in a small tank like that even if you put him in last they do get territorial. As for cleaner wrasses, I like the rarer ones myself. I've gotten in yellow tails, bicolors (black and yellow), and red sea (solid black with 2 neon blue stripes lengthwise). I currently have a small 1.5" ish red sea cleaner that eats like a pig and has been with me for over 3 months so far. Pick a good one and ask to see them eat.

digitalreefer

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Ok... everyone seems against the Flame Angel, but the tank is being heavily overskimmed and it's the one fish she really wants. Both Live Aquaria and Marine Depot Live say that they only grow to about 4" and that a 30 gal is the minimum size tank. The bioload can be minimized in other ways if necessary and this is a LPS, zoas, shrooms tank and will never have SPS corals in it. Admittedly the nitrates may be a little high, but really I see no reason not to put this fish in.

Does anyone have a solid argument for why it should be excluded?

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
my 2 cents: because the tank does not give the fish enough room.

live aquaria wants to sell fish, they are not always the best source of info.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
20 gallons? :eek:

to me the minimum tank numbers don't mean much.
yes the fish will live, but will it be happy in a small tank,
probably not. I might put the flame angel in a 65G.
I'm more conservative in my minimum tank size numbers.

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
I wouldn't trust Marine Depot on their estimates, but I would trust Scott Michael over just about anyone who's ever kept a marine fish in captivity and he also recommends 20g. as a minimum--( Marine Fishes Pocket Expert guide page 217.) I really see no problem in a well skimmed 30g. other than it may get testy with some other less boisterous fish. Pygmy Angels do not really require tons of swimming room IME.

Randy

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: