sarahandkevin

forever noob
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The reef aquarium Volume 1
Acomprehensive guide to the identification and care of tropical marine invertibrates. By- charles deleek, julian sprung.

The book was recommended by a LFS. Same store helped me learn about setting up my FW planted tank- which is working perfectly for 2 years. So I suspect this is a good book. $100 bucks and 1" 1/2 thick. A bit of it is quite over my head and some of it gives me a nice starting point of understanding the reef world.

For instance - it talked about all these different rock options- such as cement, other rocks, curing, pvc, etc etc--- but it is not: find a good reasource at XYZ third party store and diagram of how to do it.

So hear I am on a message board asking people who are not trying to stear me into what they happen to sell- but people who are doing it and living it.

Last edited:

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
welcome to MR.

I agree with Randy, great book, but ouch on the lfs price.

I have the third volume, it's great and about $70 on amazon.

Like chief said, go slow, read a lot, then read some more.
Ask questions here, but first do some searching as many of them have been answered already.

also try to figure out what you want to keep in the tank, that will help others recommend the proper equipment.

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Welcome to MR

Lots of good ppl here and lots of info ppl can help you with ,as you can see all you have to do is post a question and it will be answered in no time ,no matter how wierd you think it is :D

go slow as ppl stated above ,i think that is the most important

If you need to get the rest of the books ,i can get them for you for $75 to $80 .If you need any other equpitment ,live rock (uncured thou ,but really nice ) PM me or call

Enjoy the site

Ronen

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Great book, the new one is even better, the reef aquarium volume 3.
Amazon has it for the cheapest price. If I were you, id go with live sand and all live rock fully cured and purified water to start with reef crystals salt. You can leave the hood and if its too low then cut the top off and place the MHs over it. just my 2 cents.

sarahandkevin

forever noob
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
looking at 3 different fish stores:
LR $8.99 manhattan
LR: $ 7.99 Astoria
LR: $3.99 Flushing

What am I suppose to be looking out for? Why are the prices different? What is a good retail store to shop for it at? should I be asking them questions? I see that sometimes it is labled from a particular place... what should I buy???

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
sarahandkevin,

post a live rock request in our want to buy section.
there our reliable vendors can tell you what they have and can assist you.
there are many choices for live rock, but it should not cost you more than four or five dollars per pound. also you can go with half live rock and half base rock to keep the costs down.

sarahandkevin

forever noob
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
sarahandkevin,

post a live rock request in our want to buy section.
there our reliable vendors can tell you what they have and can assist you.
there are many choices for live rock, but it should not cost you more than four or five dollars per pound. also you can go with half live rock and half base rock to keep the costs down.

ouuuuuuu a responce from the infamous jhale. :inlove: - your gallery is WET!!!

I when building my planted FW I purchased via a message board sellers- and it was nothing but mistake after mistake. The on site shopping seems to have a level of tangable accountablity and seeing the quality of the stores tanks that make me feel more comfortable.

I live in queens I like the New World Aquarium on E 38th street, good advice, heathy stock... but pricey... Just saw a big ass fish store out in Flushing last weekend. Got a moter cycle, can travel some. Where do you suggest going?

Look through your gallery in hopes of seeing befor middle and end building of a rock formation- the how to steps so to speak. do you have a suggestion for that?

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
thanks for the compliment? lol.

stacking live rock, and making live rock stuctures is an art to itself.

a popular method now is to create rock pillars. the idea is to stack up rather than pile the rocks on top of eachother. to do this you drill through the rocks and use rods to support the stacks.
I'll be using this method as soon as my rocks are done "cooking".
http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/general-discussion/17413-rock-cooking-rock-pillar.html
that thread has some great before shots of sanjay's rock pillars.

sarahandkevin

forever noob
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
ouuuuuuu sanjays pillars- very nice.

I have never seen that shape rock for sale in the stores. maybe I havent asked them the right questions... but when I asked one store, their responce was, if I wanted "ledges" to look at the fake scuptured rock they had for sale... but I only asked in one place.

Once you have aquired all the supplies, (tank, cured rock, rods, drills etc) how long does is take to create it? Can it be done during a chille and beer party??? :beer:

PalmTree

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Hey Sorry for the late response. Welcome to MR! There are so many nice people here that you won't want to go anywhere else. All the advice that I've read in the past several posts are right on the money. Take your time and enjoy the ride. I have a 180 much like what you are setting up right now. Feel free to ask questions or stop by and check out my setup. I have a thread on the tank thread forum but its a little out dated. Again WELCOME!

sarahandkevin

forever noob
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
WE WOULD LOVE ALL TANK TOURS!!!!
SOUNDS GREAT!!! have motercycle, we'll be there! Love a get-to-gethers! Hear about life with that tank, see how your rock is arranged. PM us!

Well... the tank is going to fall through. Seems that the ebay seller is defaulting. Can start from scratch.

6months ago we tried starting out small, with a 12g. but everyone is telling us how unstable that is, how the tank isnt up to standard for reefing etc. They said bigger is more stable. So we found the biggest tank we could fit. Now that it has fallen through- and we see lots of peole here doing well with 65-125g. That sounds fine. the more stable, easy to keep creatures happy- thats what we want.

Dont want to endlessly plan, shop, compare stores, get all crazy complicated, years later still not wet. I dont care whats under the hood, dont intend on rebuilding the engine. I want to see what I want, get good advice & buy it, have it delivered & set up- and for us to follow directions and fuss (--and spend lots of money--). Thats what we did with the FW planted and it worked out just fine.

We would love:
one-get invited to tank tours this weekend
two-one stop shopping advice for a tank

You guys are so friendly, we are into the idea of having a reefer party!

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
S&K,

I will glaldy give you an overview on the hows whats etc and show you my tank(s) set up etc.

Only issue is that this weekend is already a bust for me, so, if it has to be this weekend, I'll have to pass - if it can wait til next weekend, then lets set it up.

I think you'll find that my system is simple enough to keep running but complicated enough to cost $$ :)

Take a look at my tnak threads and see if it's something you'd consider.

Look forward to hearing from you.

House

WE WOULD LOVE ALL TANK TOURS!!!!
SOUNDS GREAT!!! have motercycle, we'll be there! Love a get-to-gethers! Hear about life with that tank, see how your rock is arranged. PM us!

Well... the tank is going to fall through. Seems that the ebay seller is defaulting. Can start from scratch.

6months ago we tried starting out small, with a 12g. but everyone is telling us how unstable that is, how the tank isnt up to standard for reefing etc. They said bigger is more stable. So we found the biggest tank we could fit. Now that it has fallen through- and we see lots of peole here doing well with 65-125g. That sounds fine. the more stable, easy to keep creatures happy- thats what we want.

Dont want to endlessly plan, shop, compare stores, get all crazy complicated, years later still not wet. I dont care whats under the hood, dont intend on rebuilding the engine. I want to see what I want, get good advice & buy it, have it delivered & set up- and for us to follow directions and fuss (--and spend lots of money--). Thats what we did with the FW planted and it worked out just fine.

We would love:
one-get invited to tank tours this weekend
two-one stop shopping advice for a tank

You guys are so friendly, we are into the idea of having a reefer party!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: