dirtrider29

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Hey guys,

I have a Red Sea Max 250 that has been cycled for about 5 months now. I have a few coral frags in it including a torch, few zoas and and 3 sps frags. There is also 60lbs of live sand and about 70 lbs of live rock. I have been testing my alk with my Red Sea max kit that I bought 2 months ago. My problem is that I cannot get it above 7. I've worked up to 15 ml and it still has not moved. The last 3 days I have dosed 10ml in the morning and 10ml at night. My mag is at 1400 and cal is at 490. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Thanks in advance

greengny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
97   0   0
Could be bad test kits or user error. :-(.

If not, then perhaps this:

Could be due to your Cal being a bit high. Perhaps its higher than 490. Cal and Alk have a direct relationship. Think of a bag completely full of marbles. If the black marbles equal Cal and the white marbles equal Alk. Until you reduce the number of black marbles (Cal) in the bag, you can't add any additional white marbles (Alk). Look up Anthony Calfo and he'll explain the relationship in a more technical fashion.

GL

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
+1 Fredo

Go check out my "sticky" for a how to dosing guide and you will have a better understanding on why you may or may not see changes in parameter results.

It covers your issue.

(On mobile, can anyone please link it?)

Focus on understanding how much you need to dose on your aquarium to see a potential rise in parameters. Which is dependent on the brand you are using to dose.

Ie: 1ML for every gallon will raise your parameter how much.

Serega

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
+1 Fredo

Go check out my "sticky" for a how to dosing guide and you will have a better understanding on why you may or may not see changes in parameter results.

It covers your issue.

(On mobile, can anyone please link it?)

Focus on understanding how much you need to dose on your aquarium to see a potential rise in parameters. Which is dependent on the brand you are using to dose.

Ie: 1ML for every gallon will raise your parameter how much.

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/chemistry/144208-how-dosing-help.html
I think it's this one.

dirtrider29

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Ok so I read the sticky and according to that if I want my alk level around 9 and since it is at 7 now I should does 65ml in one day since I have a 65 gallon tank. Then test and make sure that it is in deed at 9 dkh. Once I am at 9dkh let the tank go for a week without dosing and test again 7 days later. Whatever the amount that it has dropped I should divide by 7 and that will be my daily dosing level correct?

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
You are on the right track...

Make sure you calculate your total water volume including displacement IE: ROCK/SAND
Break up initial and daily dosings too 2 or more if possible unless recovering from a crash.

Once you achieve your desired alkalinity, and your salinity, calcium, and magnesium are within an acceptable range you can move forward. This is crucial when attempting to obtain an accurate consumption....

Heres my suggestion
Get your parameters to a desired point and write down

(wait 24 hours and start)

write down result day 1
write down result day 2
write down result day 3
write down result day 4
write down result day 5
write down result day 6
write down result day 7

Not only will this help you get better at testing, it will also allow you to see any changes that may happen. Sometimes you need to repeat this over the course of a month..

ie: livestock additions, Fluctuations that may slow down calicification - temperature, salinity etc.. So many variables. Something as simple as a dirty hand in the water could irritate and change your consumption...Don't let that discourage, just let that be a reason to stay on top of testing and husbandry if you are seeking great results.

Either way - Once you get good with the test kit process its all a breeze and less of a headache.

Also, Keeping an eye on your parameters each day during this time can help reveal some human errors during testing or monitor if anything has a nasty crash. I dont know what kind of REEF you run - ie : sps, lps, mixed etc . But - If your alk was to ever crash below 6.5 (using this as a base number) during this "testing" week i would manually dose everything back to a desired level and start again.

On the 7th day follow the formula i wrote in the sticky and you can figure out your tanks consumption.. rinse and repeat

msg me if you need help

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: