soupiemelody

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Hello all, I'm a beginner. Experience freshwater hobbyist but new to salt. I just setup my 75g tank with about 120lbs of live rock that I got from a local hobbyist who broke down his tank 3 days ago. I'm using a 40br sump and hob overflow. I'm just introducing myself as I wait for the cycle to end.
78 deg f
.5 ammonia since day 2
nitrite and nitrate 0
ph 8.1
salinity 1.025
Right now I have

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Welcome to the hobby!

I dont think 120 lbs is overkill. I dont think you can really have too much live rock. As long as you have enough, any more is just personal preference of how you want your aquascaping to look.

When I had my 90 set up, I had 180 lbs in there which was 2lbs per gallon and it looked great.

soupiemelody

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Welcome to the hobby!

I dont think 120 lbs is overkill. I dont think you can really have too much live rock. As long as you have enough, any more is just personal preference of how you want your aquascaping to look.

When I had my 90 set up, I had 180 lbs in there which was 2lbs per gallon and it looked great.

okay cool. I have plenty space to swim in the tank

soupiemelody

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Welcome to the hobby!

okay cool. I have plenty space to swim in the tank

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
if it goes to zero and everything processes through to nitrate, then technically its done with the cycle. I dont think it would be done that early, but you never know. If it finishes that early, then I would just say start slow and add maybe 3 chromis to the tank and let them hang out alone for a few weeks before adding some more fish.

soupiemelody

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
12-20 I read 2ppm Ammonia 0 nitrite and about 10 nitrate.
12-21 1ppm Ammonia 0 nitrite and 10 nitrate
12-22 .5 ppm Ammonia 0 nitrite and 10-20 nitrate
12-23 0 Ammonia 0 nitrite and 20 nitrate.

Should I add fish tomorrow or do I still have to dose tank with ammonia again tonight?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: