JoeJawz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday I prepared a batch of water as I normally would. I pumped RO DI water into my bucket, put in the heater and pump, and added ph buffer and salt. I also found some calcium suppliment I had bought a year ago ut forgot about. I put in 2 capfulls (The recomended amount for my 75 gallon tank, not the 10 gallon bucket).

I woke up today and the water was a murky light brown with an almost fishy smell. I put in some clarifier but that did nothing after around 12 hours. Now is it just because I "overfosed" the calcium for the 10 gallon bucket or should I stay safe and dump the batch. I dont want to be wasteful but I also dont want to nuke my tank on a stupid mistake. What do you think I should do?

Edit: It was not worth the risk. 10 gallons of water or my entire tank. I dumped it

Last edited:

JoeJawz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad Water Batch

So yesterday I prepared a batch of water as I normally would. I pumped RO DI water into my bucket, put in the heater and pump, and added ph buffer and salt. I also found some calcium suppliment I had bought a year ago ut forgot about. I put in 2 capfulls (The recomended amount for my 75 gallon tank, not the 10 gallon bucket).

I woke up today and the water was a murky light brown with an almost fishy smell. I put in some clarifier but that did nothing after around 12 hours. Now is it just because I "overfosed" the calcium for the 10 gallon bucket or should I stay safe and dump the batch. I dont want to be wasteful but I also dont want to nuke my tank on a stupid mistake. What do you think I should do?

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
why would u add buffer to water you are making let alone a calcium additive ? have you ever tested a fresh batch of saltwater to see what the parameters are ? and what do you keep the tanks parameters at ?

JoeJawz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep the ph around 8.2 and it is 7.9. The new water is also 7.9. I add it to the water change stuff bevuase it mixes thuroughly even before it gets in the tank

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I did that one time, when going on vacation, I thought I'd just mix in the calcium chloride and the sodium hydroxide together into the reservoir. Well, the calcium won't dissolve into alkaline water. I just left it for the weeks I was on vacation, and had to clean out the sediment from the reservoir. If you use it, it will turn your water cloudy, no point saving it.

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
I wouldn't bother with adjusting the ph or the calcium. Usually your new water would have more than whats in your tank (as far as calcium) and ph will resolve itself. Nothing wrong with 7.9 and remember your not changing all your water. 10g on a 75g tank won't even budge it. Temp should be your only concern (unless testing shows things way off where they should be)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: