Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we have a 125 gallon salt water reef tank, which just finished its cycle its a pentagon tank and has a built in overflow which travels to the sock filters on a Emerald sump. We got the EHEIM 2078 for additional filtration. Our overall goal it to make it look clean and orderly, yet I am kinda up in the air as to whether you can, (1 use the Eheim inside a sump) my worry is there will not be enough water inside the sump for the pump, skimmer and Eheim with the factor of evaporation in play. and (2 how I even set it up for that configuration) as its designed to be placed in the tank. And if we did decide to go with the tank configuration how would you make holes in the acrylic for the hose assemble?

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
If you're going to run a canister filter, Eheim 2078, then you should run it on the tank, and not in the sump. You need to have the hoses above the filter for it to work properly, which unless you have the sump off the ground it's most likely not going to work. Also, if you're going to make this a reef tank you probably don't want to run a canister filter on it, as unless you clean it out all the time it's just going to create additional nitrates. The sump, with the filter sock, and skimmer should be good enough for filtration, you may want to add power/pumps for good water movement in the tank.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
You could run the canister in and out of the tank, or in and out of the sump, if it's within the recommended head height. With that said I wouldn't recommend it. Not only could/will it cause another cycle, but over time needs maintenance, will cause more heat, and has the potential to become a phosphate and nitrate bank. Have seen many ppl do/try this in an attempt to make things as good as possible, when in most cases it makes things worse. If down the road when the tank is more mature there is a need for more, think about it then.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water test results.

We sent a water sample to Aqua Medic Water Testing and got the results today, it says are Ammonia is 0.000, Nitrites 0.018 Phosphate 0.420 and Nitrate 1.4, Potassium 428, Ionic calcium 356 Strontium 7.8 , Magnesium 1440 Alkalinity 3.4 Total calcium 420, are these good or bad for my tank?

Last edited:

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Looks good except alk is crazy low. Should be no lower than 7. Coral will do better if above 8. Ideal is 8-11. Should shoot for 9-10 so if it swings a little you're still ok and have time to notice and react. If fish only alk isn't as important, but it does effect ph and that effects fish. Wonder how low your ph is with alk that low.
check this out
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2016465
and a calculator
http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

Phosphates should be .02 - .05 so it's time for a water change. Did you incorporate any means of removing phosphates?
Reef tank or fish only?

BTW, adding the canister filter will do pretty much nothing for reducing phosphates

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: