filipino

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Guys I have 40 breeder tank and im planning to use a sump this time. I looking also to use a HOB overflow since my tank is not Reef Ready. I want to know what type of return pump I need to buy. I believe my tank and stand is 4-5 ft tall I think. thanx in advance

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
depends on the size HOB overflow you use. you just want to make sure you overflow can handle more than you return pump is returning to the display.

4-5 feet is not excessively tall that would warrant a high pressure pump, so pretty much any of your bread and butter internal or external, AC or DC pumps should work.

I got a jebao DC return pump for my new system and love it. I know some will say jebao isnt reliable but i have a backup just in case, but have yet to have an issue with it.

Some of the more well known AC powered pumps are ones like mag pumps, eheim, sicce

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
There's 2 camps on this. The 10x the display tanks volume gallons per hour camp. Which is the older way of thinking. Then there's the newer 3 to 5x the display tanks volume. Ime anywhere 4 to 6x is best. Either way you have to figure head height into that equation. Also a good idea to match, or close to, the return pumps gph to how much the protein skimmer can process per hour.
I too am running a jebao dc return pump and love it. Also have an ehiem hobby pump that is going strong for over 10 years. Don't cheap out on a return pump, the added heat and lack of reliability will cost you more.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: