duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
i have a 75 gal tank:Up_to_som i have a lawnmower blenny 2 yellow tangs 2 damsels a star and a clown:letitallo i also have for coral a pink palythoa a brain 2 mushrooms an anemone and one that i cant remember the name:Hydrogen: also 10 zebra turbo snails:Up_to_som my question is i just put all those in in the tank in the past month except for my 80 pounds of live rock ive had it cycling for 9 mths now.am i starting off on the right foot and if not what do you suggest i do now.all replys are critical to my tanks survival thank you

digitalreefer

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
You cured your rock for nine months!?!? Wow... that's patience... but I guess you ran out of it... slow down on the stocking a bit, let the bacteria adjust to the bioload a bit more slowly. Also, you probably want a much bigger cleanup crew than 10 snails. Maybe some different snails, some hermit crabs, etc.

Careful with the 2 yellow tangs, they may fight in a 75 gallon tank. Generally 2 tangs with different shapes will be ok, but 2 yellows may go at it.
Good luck!
Welcome to MR

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I have to second Eric on the clean-up crew. I have a 29g, and my cleanup crew for about 35lbs of live rock contains:

3 massive Halloween hermit crabs
1 scarlet reef hermit crab
10 v. small blue leg hermit crabs (when they get larger, I'll have to give some of those away)
7 nassarius sails
16 small turbo snails (had 20, but 2 have been shell-jacked and 2 ended up in my intake while I was on vacation)
20 cerith snails
5 bumblebee snails (had 7, but 1 was shell jacked and 1 ended up in my intake while I was on vacation)

Now, I had a bit of a cyano problem, so I have a slightly large clean up crew because I needed something to tear through the stuff. But I have to say that the snails are my favorite thing I've put in the tank. I don't have to run my magnet cleaner over the glass as much anymore. I was losing zoos to hair algae, but my turbos are champs and have cleaned up almost all of that.

So buy snails w/ all that other livestock! As Leslie says, they need love too. :)

Last edited:

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
i have a 75 gal tank:Up_to_som i have a lawnmower blenny 2 yellow tangs 2 damsels a star and a clown:letitallo i also have for coral a pink palythoa a brain 2 mushrooms an anemone and one that i cant remember the name:Hydrogen: also 10 zebra turbo snails:Up_to_som my question is i just put all those in in the tank in the past month except for my 80 pounds of live rock ive had it cycling for 9 mths now.am i starting off on the right foot and if not what do you suggest i do now.all replys are critical to my tanks survival thank you

if you added them over the course of a month you'll be fine. get a larger clean up crew.

oh btw....:screama:where the pics???:p

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
here is what i have

i have an eheim 227 filtration unit a pure flow tfc ro system a current orbit 4x65 watt dual with lunar lights i will put pics up as soon as i find my camera cable that connects to computer i think my daughter was playing with it and now its lost

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
As Leslie says, they need love too. :)

Thanks Lisa,

What I meant was that snails are animals as well and though they are inexpensive we should still be good stewards where they are concerned.

Certain snails only eat certain types of food - they do not all eat algae and they do not all eat the same types of algae. Also, not all the snails we put in our tropical temp. tanks are tropical. This causes them to have metabolic problems and die after a year which, in spite of what many reefers have been told, is not normal.

Their is actually plenty of info on this site and on google to read and make responsible choices :smile:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: