Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So about a month ago i had a great idea lets get into the salt water fish hobby:thrash:. I wanna thank my buddy Wheights who gave me is old 75 gallon reef ready and a whole bunch of other stuff that i don't know anything about he says it will be fun.i have to thank I'm so much so long story short I'm hooked and love it. In my tank have two Clown fish and a Blue Hippo Tang. They are now in about a 4 days and eating and swimming really well. Looking too add some curls and some other fish in like 2 weeks any suggestion on what i should get . Tell me what you think Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0315.jpg
    IMG_0315.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_0318.jpg
    IMG_0318.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 349

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
I have seen this video before but for most reef keeping don't you need calcium reactors and dosing equipment? I to are new to reefing...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

If you want to get into SPS, then yes you will need some system to replenish calcium and alkalinity. As a beginner I was keeping softies, zoas, mushrooms, anemones, and clams with ease as long as you keep up good husbandry.

I remember trying a candy cane coral and monti digi when i first got into the hobby. the digi did awesome grew from a frag to a mini colony then all of a sudden got RTN and the coral died. The candy cane was never that healthy looking and slowly withered after not growing much at all. Do i know if dosing would have helped me back then, not too sure. But i know that knowing what little i knew back then, softies were the way to go.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I have seen this video before but for most reef keeping don't you need calcium reactors and dosing equipment? I to are new to reefing...

You need to have your calcium, alkaline and magnesium in order to have success with any corals. Some are more sensitive than others. The big dif, imo and ime, when it comes to lps vs sps is lighting, and phosphates and nitrates in a healthy range, as well as a good diet.,

Unless you have a well stocked, and/or hi demand sps tank, you can dose alk and cal with one product, kalkwasser in your auto top off. Much cheaper, and easier than two part.

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
What do you mean two parts?

2 part basically refers to dosing the "2 parts" alk and calcium separately. allows for better control over the (i believe) older method being kalkwasser. I personally never used kalkwasser, but for "2 part" it really ends up being 3 part because you need to dose magnesium as well. Some people choose to dose that by hand every week or month or so, i just have everything set up on separate dosing pumps.

Kalkwasser i know you can just put into you auto top off water to help keep levels up as meat had mentioned. If you do that, i would recommend taking your auto top off pump out and soak in vinegar from time to time to prevent calcification built up.

jr reef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you're looking for simple ways to master the basics of reefkeeping, the bulk reef supply products are a great place to start and they have plenty of informative videos that explain how to use the products and why they are important.

I started out with soft corals, much like the ones mentioned in the video above, and would recommend other beginners do the same. It gives you an opportunity to have some fun while working on good husbandry habits and focusing on keeping stable water parameters.

ourcoralreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Awesome welcome to the hoby and nice setup dont buy allot at once slowly buy all the fish and corals you want, cleanup crew is a must i recommend a no crab no shrimp cleanup crew just my opinion from my experience, the key is not to mess with your tank too much the less you do the less stress you put on the fish and corals another tip long acclimation drip for a hour and you should be good if its a starfish or other sensitive corals, fish or inverts 1+ depending on the coral, fish or invert feel free to ask questions there are lots of people here to help

reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0
Welcome to Manhattanreefs and welcome to the hobby.it will have a lot of ups and downs as many here have experienced..(myself included)if I could suggest one thing just from looking at the pics. Those huge white Texas holey rocks you should remove before it's too late..Texas holey rock is made of limestone dug up from the ground and can cause a lot of nuisance problems in the future such as high phosphate levels,hair algae and the obvious that it's so dense that bacteria can't thrive in it.if you ever in my area let me know if can give you some good clean dry rock to replace them!free for you.as far as jumping in to the coral plunge I highly recommend starting with soft corals as they are very hardy and just as beautiful..if your looking for a very nice soft coral tank inspiration take a look at MikeC tank thread..this hobby is based on patience,research and dedication to achieve a growing thriving reeftank..good luck and let me know if you ever need help from me aswell as many others here that are willing to help

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: