Craig2051

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have just finished cycling my 75 gallon reef aquarium. I have 75 lbs of live rock and 80 lbs of live sand. I want to begin stocking and would like to know if what I have in mind is acceptable or I would be overstocking the aquarium:

2 ocellaris clownfish
1 either two spotted bristletooth or kole tang
1 carpenters flasher wrasse
1 six line wrasse
2 firefish
1 bicolor dottyback
1 orangetail dottyback
25-40 snails/hermit crabs

This is my first reef aquarium and I want to make sure I stock it correctly and not overstock the aquarium. I am open to all suggestions. Would more than 1 tang be too much for this size aquarium?

Thanks!

lskywalker5

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
your CuC too extreme. Add a few, then more as you need, but SLOWLY. If you add them all at once, they will run out of food, and die, causing a nitrate spike. 6 lines are as evil as it gets. IME you wont be able to get anymore fish post 6line, because they're extremely territorial. They also eat alot of micro organisms, and reduces your biodiversity, which IMO is bad. Add the clowns first, then decide what you want. You can easily get away with a tang, and most likely can squish two in there safely (assuming they look nothing like each other). I like Midas Blennys, flame angels, and ORA dragonettes. Take it slow.

Best, Luke

ReefDiver

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Luke is giving good advice. I've had good success with a pair of clowns and a tang. If you add at the same time they should be fine together. You might be able to keep two tangs, but they like to graze the live rock and your tank size is small for more than one. Its more likely they will fight.

I've had good success with six lines. If you add it later after the other fish are established it is likely to be less aggressive.

I've never had any luck with firefish or dottybacks. Dwarf angels also make good colorful additions. Midas blenny are active, social fish, too.

Good luck.

Craig2051

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I read up on the cuc and only purchased 4 snails & 4 hermit crabs. I've had the two clownfish for about 2 weeks now. They seem to be doing well but they don't leave one corner of the tank. Is this normal? Have any of you had success with dwarf angels in the reef aquarium? I always see that it says add with caution.

AuthAq

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to add my 2 cents here. I've had a six line wrasse and most learn the hard way and come home to a dead fish on the floor. Make sure you have a lid.

Also, as a marine biologist, I have to advise you to not go for the clown fishes! Unfortunately a silly kids movie has meant everyone wants one in their tank and its my job to analyse the effect on the ecosystem that this has had. Not to mention that it's crushed wild populations. If you can refrain from having one, it goes a long way!

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Just wanted to add my 2 cents here. I've had a six line wrasse and most learn the hard way and come home to a dead fish on the floor. Make sure you have a lid.

Also, as a marine biologist, I have to advise you to not go for the clown fishes! Unfortunately a silly kids movie has meant everyone wants one in their tank and its my job to analyse the effect on the ecosystem that this has had. Not to mention that it's crushed wild populations. If you can refrain from having one, it goes a long way!

Or you could buy a farm raised clown fish of any variety, that're readily available

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: