nycearnestchink

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
hello ! just got my tank setup yesterday, cooked live rocks from tampa bay with purple cooralgine for 2 weeks without light , 3 - 4 hours of die off so im assuming it cycled within 2 weeks smells pretty jetty like fresh ocean smell., i just putted into my tank with the pump and everything running, there is no fish or coral as of yet, my question is, do i need to provide a ammonia source for the live rock?

thank you all for the time. ! :biggrin:

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Why did you buy Tampa Bay rock and cooked it?

For your question, the live rock, with things on it, would have been your source of ammonia to use during the cycle. Right now there is a good chance that the live rock is cycled and has the bacteria on it that you'll need to be your filter in your tank. Basically now you have place the rock into the tank, wait a short while and do a test for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. Check again tomorrow and see what you're levels are, if you don't see any ammonia or nitrites then your tank is ready to go and you can add some hermit crabs, fish, or low end corals.

nycearnestchink

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i thought cooking live rock was a good idea o.o , as for live sand i do not have currently , i would like to get live sand for a DSB at least 4 inches, been reading and sugar fine is good from what i read online . Tank is a 40 gallon: 24 x 19 x 19 , with kessil 360we with a trigger crystal cube sump / refugium, which i have not added yet, with no skimmer in mind so far, possibly putting 2 nemos which i think should be low bioload, how do i upload picstures in this on the phone , and what do you exactly mean by a thread*? compared to what i have posted !
as for low end corals, i like green hammer or green torchs, are they consider low ended:) pulsing xenias are nice too hehe MORE SUGGESTIONS !! :)

nycearnestchink

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
hQDhkF

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
You would usually cook the rock when you're starting over or have a lot of garbage on the rock that you want to get rid of. In your case you probably paid good money for Tampa Bay LR and you lose a lot of the live matter that was on the rock. Either way the point right now is has the LR fully cycled and is it ready to go. You should be able to see if it has by doing reading in your tank for ammonia and nitrites. If you have neither after a day or so you should be able to start adding things. I would start with a couple of small hermit crabs or snails and if they do good after a week or so you can more on to fish.

If you want to go with sand, whether a DSB or just some sand, you probably should do it in the beginning, as if you do it later it could cause a small cycle. So if you want to add sand I would do it now and then give the tank about a week to settle in, check the reading and if you don't show any ammonia or nitrites you should be ready to go. Also do a nitrates test, and if they're high, over 10, then do a small water change.

Reef Trends

www.reeftrends.com
Vendor
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
By "cook" do you mean cycle or literally on the stove? Putting rock on the stove is never a good idea because the vapors released could be toxic depending on what matter is on the rock. The term is also used for cycling rock is why I ask and perhaps where some of the confusion stems from. As for future cleaning muric acid is the preferred way of cleaning rock if need be.

jayp5117

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I'm confused as go why you would buy live rock to kill it? Should have saved money and bought dry rock and cycled the tank for a couple of months. Either way I wouldn't add any fish for a while until you know it's cycled. Also choose wether or not your using sand or not because your not going to want to add it once you have fish in there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: