New 75 gallon start up - Page 4 - Reefs.com

Home  / Forums  / Global Forums  / Reefs for Beginners  /  New 75 gallon start up
Reply
CJRIZZOTTI's Avatar
CJRIZZOTTI is offline
Member
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 79
08-30-2017, 12:57 AM
  #31  
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
You are suggesting 2 conflicting ideas. If you're cleaning, curing, whatever you want to call it, the live rock to put into an already cycled tank than yes you should run the skimmer. But live rock's die off will only fuel the cycle and help it complete. Running the skimmer will take out what you need to complete the cycle. You could take a piss in the tank and that would help start the cycle. The best thing to do with live rock from the ocean, when cycling a new tank, is to blow it off with a turkey Baster or the likes every few day, week or so.

Althou I'd recommend using dried rock because then there's no danger of adding pests, and your not paying for water because rock is sold by the pound. Would also recommend rinsing the rock, live or dry, as good as possible before it goes into the tank.
I'm using caribsea life Rock def not from the sea just dried rock painted with bacteria so they say but still dried rock none the less

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
 
theMeat is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,530
08-30-2017, 01:17 AM
  #32  
Nice pick on the rock
 
CJRIZZOTTI's Avatar
CJRIZZOTTI is offline
Member
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 79
08-30-2017, 01:20 AM
  #33  
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
Nice pick on the rock
Thanks it comes highly recommended

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
 
jck16's Avatar
jck16 is offline
Member
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 165
08-30-2017, 10:27 AM
  #34  
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
You sound really smart but....
Explaining the nitrogen cycle. Really?
Drama much? You're playing with words. You research the levels of copper in tap water and share what is the epa's maximum level of copper allowed, and set that as your standard for copper in your "example". Then the math you did for omg drama. Really? When the truth is that's the level, 1.3mg/L, at which the epa says you must treat to get it lower. And the fact of the matter is nyc tap water is .007. So, for drama, " if our goal when setting up our tanks is to duplicate as best we can the environment our critters come from" or, whatever you said before about not being fair to op by giving bad advice, than you should have advised him to ad copper to the tap water to get it the .071 that most seawater contains.
Yes, I checked it, and you. Thought maybe I should. Thought maybe I've been paying attention and doing it wrong for decades anyway. And maybe just got lucky again and again.

Now stop with the drama and stick around, you may learn something
Why are you so desperate to defend tap water? Your argument against mine now is venturing into attacking me personally, so this will be my last post to you.

I'm glad you researched to contest my argument. Good. Yes, NYC copper levels in the municipal supply are much lower at 0.007 mg/L. But seawater has a copper concentration of 0.00025 mg/L; you pulled that 0.071mg figure to make your argument, but that was the total mass of copper that should be present in his system. In other words, you are still looking at 28x the amount of copper level of seawater in an equivalent volume of NYC tap water.

There was a study that showed 50% of sea urchin larvae start to die off at 0.006 mg/L of copper in the water, which is still less than the concentration of copper in the water supply in NYC. And our water is pretty good too compared to most municipal waters. Just sayin.

So don't use tap water. The cycle will happen with RODI, salt, water flow, and a source of ammonia. A source of nitrifying bacteria speeds things up. So there are 0 pros to using tap water, especially when the OP will have an RODI unit.

Other variables like light, skimming during the cycle, etc. do not impact the nitrogen cycle to the extent you're implying (except when you add nitrates and phosphates via tap water ) which is why I don't see the need to prolong this by trying to refute your claims about skimming or whatever. You can skim or not skim, add lights or keep the lights off: the cycle WILL happen regardless. In the OPs case, no nitrates or phosphates present in the RODI water and dry seeded rock means no need to skim or turn on the lights. I do find it interesting to point out that algae spores germinate with ammonia which is why algae that wasn't visibly in the system before suddenly appear once nitrates and lights are present.

OP, show us some photos!

Last edited by jck16; 08-30-2017 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Typos
 
theMeat is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,530
08-30-2017, 11:41 AM
  #35  
Quote:
Originally Posted by jck16 View Post
Why are you so desperate to defend tap water? Your argument against mine now is venturing into attacking me personally, so this will be my last post to you.

I'm glad you researched to contest my argument. Good. Yes, NYC copper levels in the municipal supply are much lower at 0.007 mg/L. But seawater has a copper concentration of 0.00025 mg/L; you pulled that 0.071mg figure to make your argument, but that was the total mass of copper that should be present in his system. In other words, you are still looking at 28x the amount of copper level of seawater in an equivalent volume of NYC tap water.

There was a study that showed 50% of sea urchin larvae start to die off at 0.006 mg/L of copper in the water, which is still less than the concentration of copper in the water supply in NYC. And our water is pretty good too compared to most municipal waters. Just sayin.

So don't use tap water. The cycle will happen with RODI, salt, water flow, and a source of ammonia. A source of nitrifying bacteria speeds things up. So there are 0 pros to using tap water, especially when the OP will have an RODI unit.

Other variables like light, skimming during the cycle, etc. do not impact the nitrogen cycle to the extent you're implying (except when you add nitrates and phosphates via tap water ) which is why I don't see the need to prolong this by trying to refute your claims about skimming or whatever. You can skim or not skim, add lights or keep the lights off: the cycle WILL happen regardless. In the OPs case, no nitrates or phosphates present in the RODI water and dry seeded rock means no need to skim or turn on the lights. I do find it interesting to point out that algae spores germinate with ammonia which is why algae that wasn't visibly in the system before suddenly appear once nitrates and lights are present.

OP, show us some photos!
Not defending tap water. Just trying to guide a fellow reefer with some good practical advice. There's no need to take out the tap water when in fact it will help the cycle. There's plenty of real things to avoid in this hobby. Like getting waste of time and money advice from people. Also not attacking you. Just defending your attack, and if you consider giving you straight forward info that you should consider in your quest to learn more about this hobby than...

Your .00025 claim for copper in seawater is incorrect, and regardless you went from 5 thousand something times, to 28 times the amount in one post, so it's clear you're the one trying to win a waste of time argument.
 
salpet's Avatar
salpet is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 871
08-30-2017, 12:09 PM
  #36  
just run the tank and let mother nature take its coarse all these directions must have your head spinning its going to take time before its fully cycled and i'm sure that if your diligent about about your maintenance schedule you will have done more than a few water changes just remember when buying live stock(fish) to keep it on the inexpensive side because you will have losses as far as corals start with softies and youll be just fine.just remember K.I.S.S
 
CJRIZZOTTI's Avatar
CJRIZZOTTI is offline
Member
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 79
08-30-2017, 04:37 PM
  #37  
Quote:
Originally Posted by salpet View Post
just run the tank and let mother nature take its coarse all these directions must have your head spinning its going to take time before its fully cycled and i'm sure that if your diligent about about your maintenance schedule you will have done more than a few water changes just remember when buying live stock(fish) to keep it on the inexpensive side because you will have losses as far as corals start with softies and youll be just fine.just remember K.I.S.S
Thanks bud I'm going to start with corals first before I get live stock naturally after cycled

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
 
nycearnestchink is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 426
09-01-2017, 02:41 AM
  #38  
yada yada yada skimmed thru some, i cooked lr tampa bay ones in a bucket with air stone , with tap water dechor. nyc. brooklyn , then started th tank with rodi water. any issues . im here to accept knowledge . listening more then talk ears wide open .
 
theMeat is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,530
09-03-2017, 09:59 AM
  #39  
Quote:
Originally Posted by salpet View Post
just run the tank and let mother nature take its coarse all these directions must have your head spinning its going to take time before its fully cycled and i'm sure that if your diligent about about your maintenance schedule you will have done more than a few water changes just remember when buying live stock(fish) to keep it on the inexpensive side because you will have losses as far as corals start with softies and youll be just fine.just remember K.I.S.S
Good stuff
 
salpet's Avatar
salpet is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 871
09-04-2017, 11:28 AM
  #40  
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
Good stuff
thank you
 

Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes