Antf

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just started cycling my 125 Gallon. I have live sand and some live rock (most was dry). Im thinking of adding copepods to get some life started in the tank before I add fish. Anyone know where to get some in North Nj? I prefer not to order online. The weather is way too cold.

will424

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Your better off waiting till the cycle is done then start adding fish. If you add copepods now they would most likely die because they feed on fish waste and leftover food and thrive in a established aquarium rather than a newly started one.

beang

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I ordered from Algaebarn.com
I ordered before and it was ok but I was worried about the cold like you, for my last order. I received it today and I can see pods are alive and moving.
They insulate and put heat packs inside the box.

Antf

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Your better off waiting till the cycle is done then start adding fish. If you add copepods now they would most likely die because they feed on fish waste and leftover food and thrive in a established aquarium rather than a newly started one.

Got it. Thanks. Im anxious to see something live and moving around in the tank. I thought the copepods took care of algae too. Which I have on the live rock. (it came with it). currently keeping the lights off so that the algae does take hold.

Antf

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I ordered from Algaebarn.com
I ordered before and it was ok but I was worried about the cold like you, for my last order. I received it today and I can see pods are alive and moving.
They insulate and put heat packs inside the box.

Thanks. Im hoping to find them locally. The high temp is 18 degrees outside. If my UPS driver leaves that on the doorstep for a few hours, its gonna freeze. But Ill keep that in mind. Ill wait a few weeks.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: