SteveZz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I was wondering if anyone had some thoughts on if it?s possible to have success with a Dwarf Seahorse in a 20 gallon display tank with a 10 gallon sump. My tank is pretty stocked with coral but I don?t think there?s anything that would be able to eat the Seahorse. I have a Duncan coral that would probably the most capable of any coral I have.

As far as fish go I have a clownfish and a mandarin.

For circulation I have a return pump in one corner (not sure exactly the gph coming out of there offhand) and I have a circulation pump.

Just looking for some opinions on making this addition before I try (if I do).

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
It's not a problem to keep one in a reef tank, plenty of people do, but the biggest think is you need to make sure the flow isn't that strong, and that they have an area of place where they can stay/attach to and that you can feed them. If the flow isn't that strong they should be able to stay away from any corals that could eat or sting them.

anthonys51

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.6%
123   3   0
Also you have to feed them several times a day. They don?t have a stomach so your tank might start to have nutrients issues since it isn?t that big of a system

Also sea horses really do prefer cooler water than most of us keep our reef at

If you want to know a lot about sea horse I would look into pacific east. I would maybe call them and ask a ton a question. I found them to be very knowledgeable and very helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SteveZz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
As for flow it?s hard to say if it?s slow enough for them or not. As for feeding them. I assume they eat pods? I have a lot of pods on my glass even with the mandarin. Would that suffice as far as food for a Seahorse to survive?

Rating - 100%
80   0   0
I used to have them. They are pretty awesome but I had to hatch brine shrimp daily. They also benefit from multiple daily feedings. I got to the point where they used to breed and they would grow. They would need a dedicated tank. The clown might out compete them for food. Also when I had them I had to have sponges or mesh over the intake (HOB) filter. They need very little water movement.

SteveZz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Thanks everyone for the responses. It?s sounding like my smart move is to do one of two things.

1. Get a dedicated tank
2. Don?t get a Seahorse

Opting for 2 for now. Thanks all.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My recommendation is to use nature as a general resource for compatibility in any close systems as most of the time lessons learned from nature are the most sustainable solutions in any marine systems. Even to the extent you may be an expert, in that case this approach may be ?doable? but not recomended, not sustainable on a long-term basis because the needs seahorses and that of corals are mutually exclusive to each other an may eventually catch up with you, I recommend you set up a separate tank (or avoid idea altogether if you are a beginner) for seahorses as they have very unique requirements and are not easily achieved in a closed system, even in isolated perfect conditions in closed environments.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: