D

dylanjs

Does anyone know if this formula is safe to use in my sump? It doesn't say mold/mildew resistant on the tube. Thanks!

inline6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Make sure it has no additives - like mildew resistant chemicals.
It must say 100% silicone.
Usually Silicone I (don't hold me to it tho).

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Make sure its not the type I*. note the *

Its not 100% safe. any of the type I without the * is good. But since they stopped making the regular type I check the expiration date on them. Usually sitting in the wearhouse for a while.

But yeah, if your gonna be using the silicone, take a ride down to lowes and buy a tube of aquarium silicone.

Henrye

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
GE II is treated, so it's not for aquarium use. tosiek is absolutely correct about checking even the GE I silicone, the I* is treated, I is not treated, by is no longer being manufactured.

vanceny

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Use the Window and Door version of the silicone. The bath and tile version has the antimold agents in them. I used the GE brand on my sump and overflow. I don't recall if it was Type I or II. IME, 100% silicone is just repackaged for its specific purpose. Its all the same stuff. The warning on the back of the GE tubes about "Not for aquarium use" is for liability purposes.

Here's the customer service # to GE, just ask which one doesn't contain the antimold agents. I think they call it bioseal now. Tel: 1-877-943-7325
Here's a data sheet of their products. Its looks like Type I with out the "*" next to the I. http://kbam.geampod.com/KBAM/Reflection/Assets/10001.pdf

Hope that helps.

charile1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
GE II is treated, so it's not for aquarium use. tosiek is absolutely correct about checking even the GE I silicone, the I* is treated, I is not treated, by is no longer being manufactured.

:( I used GE I* window and door. Oh well.

Last edited:
D

dylanjs

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I bought aquarium silicone. It's only a couple of bucks more
expensive than the caulks from Home Depot. Definitely worth the peace of mind. Thanks for the input, MR-ers!

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Its a couple of bucks more for a much smaller tube. If you plan on resealing a 75 gallon tank the few bucks add up and so willl the cost of buying more tubes.

But if the silicone sealant is white i doubt its 100% silicone and i wouldnt use it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: