1QuickSubaru

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
aiite i tested the water today at work.... I have to do a water change tonight. I have live fiji rock i got from the store that I work at. I also added live sand with tlc and biospira. I do see some growths of algae. You just cant see it cause my camera isnt that great.

marki24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.1%
116   1   0
If you work in a petstore I hope you are not passing on your current knowlege to other people and I thought you would know better. Please wait and let nature take its course and dont test your water with a clownfish thats just cruel. (I am a clownfish lover as you can see from my avatar). WAIT!!! give it time if you are impatient with this whole process you might want to think twice about this hobby.

1QuickSubaru

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
If you work in a petstore I hope you are not passing on your current knowlege to other people and I thought you would know better. Please wait and let nature take its course and dont test your water with a clownfish thats just cruel. (I am a clownfish lover as you can see from my avatar). WAIT!!! give it time if you are impatient with this whole process you might want to think twice about this hobby.

Well first of all, I just started to work there. I dont have any knowledge of saltwater which is why I just bought the Biocube(to learn). The place that I work at has people who have been in this industry for many many years. I do not give improper information to anyone... if i dont know, i let someone who has been in this industry longer answer questions. Secondly, it was just a question. I just tested the water and the tests were way off. I just finished doing another water chage. Just because I acted alittle impatient doesnt mean that I'm absolutely stupid enough to kill any fish.... thanks for posting your info.... i'll leave it at that...

ANYWAY, I will be posting a log of this whole setup as I go so if you all are interested in how things turn out let me know. If any of you have any information or comments please post up. Also is there anyway to upgrade the lighting and is there any good protein skimmer that will fit in the back of the biocube and still retain the OEM look?

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
You may want to bust some of your rock up.

Sometimes I find myself with a large rock that just doesn't fit well or is too big for what I want to use it for. I take it out and go to work with a hammer. If you're careful you can (kind of) shape it how you want. Sometimes that medium size rock that doesn't fit becomes two perfect sized rocks that work great!

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Hi Quick, the new rock scape looks much better already. Remember, just go slow. You'll get there. I also know that you are not giving bad advice, and you have some great people around you that will be very supportive, and will give some great advice if you listen to them.

Try to understand that the folk here mean well, sometimes they misunderstand the question and go into tirades. Regardless, as you can tell from your testing it is still to soon to add livestock. When something doesn't apply take it in stride, but if it does well you know the rest. Lifes to short.:hug:

1QuickSubaru

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Is something wrong with the water? When i first started the tank with live rock green algae was growing on it. Yesterday i did a partial water change and this morning when I looked inside the tank I now notice some brown algae growing on some of the rocks. Any ideas?

S

steveo32

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
It an algea cycle. It will go from green to brown to red and then will go away, hopefully.

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I think I know what you're talking about, but pics would def. help.
If they're those little white spiral forming tubes, they're just some filter organisms and a sign of a maturing tank.

1QuickSubaru

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
ea1a4496.jpg

ea1a4482.jpg

ea1a4462.jpg

Brown stuff

Nsr250NYC

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
you dont have to do water changes while the tank is cycling. you're only prolonging the cycle with that. leave it till ammonia, nitrite is at 0 and when nitrates are high, then do a big water change. that's the end of the cycle. IMO, you have alot more research to do for the pace that you're going. Ask Rich if you have questions. he knows his stuff.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: