thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
Well I have been reading alot on here and seeing that some people have large probs with alge from red slime to hair algae. I do not have any algae in my tank other than coraline. Why is this? I mean i dont even get any on the glass. I do have a decent clean up crew but can they be that good that they get every little speck off the rocks and glass?

Is it a good thing that i dont have any algae growth? Believe me i am happy that i dont have to clean the glass often from buildup.

So tell me that i'm stupid for asking that question, that is a good thing that there is no Algae. I will not be offended. :tongueani

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
Have to take new pics (got a new camera) but dont have them right now.
Tank is a 175 bow with about 275 lbs LR. No LS but not bare bottom, have to remember the actual base i am using, but was live base only a couple inches.

Have a tomatoe clown
3 domino damsels
royal garamma
hippo tang
mandarin.
Pepermint shrimp
Clean up crew: nassarius snails, few turbos, small scarlet crabs, couple large blue legged crabs, 4 or 5 emerald crabs. I also have a large (like has to be at least 4 or so inches) bristle worm. Hides all the time.

Runnin basic sump with skimmer, i have pretty good flow through system but not sure the GPH.

Levels are textbook perfect.

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
This is fun, usually your are trying to figure out what caused the alage, not why don't I have any.

What type of lighting do you have and what is its schedule. What type of skimmer? When you say filtered water...what exactly do you mean?

You also have a very light bio load for that tank wich helps alot.

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
Well right now i am only running 2 coralife power compacts dont ask me the wattage i am not sure right now. I am currently building my canopy for my tank which will be 3 250w MH and 4 VHOS (2) actinics. Um they run about 12 hrs a day.

I believe that once i get my new lights finished that the light will increase the algae growth.

Ya i have a very light bioload on this tank. I am looking to increase the number of fish soon a little at a time.

SIReefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
I felt the same way a while ago. I read countless posts of algae problems but never had any myself & thought I was missing something or doing something wrong. Then came the hair algae outbreak & realized what all these people were going through. I make sure I have good flow & have a large cleanup/algae crew. Once a year I buy the Reeftopia Special to keep things in check. Good luck w/your algae or lack of.

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
i would like to see if any, at least 1 pic of this algealess tank.
i can only imagine 2 incidents when a tank has no algea.
1.)new tank just set up
2.)no lighting, (i.e. pitch black)

What is just set up to you?
When i first got some of the rock it was covered with hair algea but went away when i put in my tank.
I run my lights for 10 hrs. So not pitch black. I will have to take a few pics and show you.

kenske

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
What is just set up to you?
When i first got some of the rock it was covered with hair algea but went away when i put in my tank.
I run my lights for 10 hrs. So not pitch black. I will have to take a few pics and show you.

I would bet the emeralds are responsible for eliminating the hair algae. IMO, they are very efficient in getting rid of macro algae.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I also feel the tank is too new. I understand that the rocks are old but all of our rock is old. It all came from the sea. If you can keep it algae free for five years or more than I am coming over.
If you have light, and food, eventually, you should grow algae. It is not a disease, it is a normal course of events on a reef. Fish excrete carbon dioxide, food supplies phosphate. I think that in time, you will have some algae which is fine. Of course too much is not fine. For now, enjoy it.
Paul

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: