JRWOHLER

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have a 24G AP Nano I am pretty sure my phosphate levels are the cause of my algea problems. I didn't use the RO water when I started the tank I am not running a skimmer have probably 25-30lb of live rock plus 25 lb of LS. So I am thinking to get my phosphates down the reactor would be the safest way. The rest of my numbers are OK had them checked out...my calcium is a bit low but am building that up. Any thoughts folks?

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
are you using RO water now? Using tap water for water changes is just going to add to the problem.

If you're handy with tools you could make a phosban reactor out of just about anything. All it takes is an 'in' an 'out' and a way to keep the media in the container. think Mayo jar or quart juice bottle.

Other ways are to get a really fine filter sock and put the media in there. then either just soak it in the sump/fuge, or have a pump pump into the sock and drain back into yoru tank.

B

JRWOHLER

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks

Yes I am now but I think I need to get it out of my rocks sand water. Have done about 20% water change weekly ...but really just started that so need to do it going forward. I assume the media is very fine then...smaller then say activated carbon?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Yes, it's smaller than carbon. If you use phosban, be sure to follow the directions and rinse it well before you use it. There is also a nylon bag in the container of phosban. Might be a good idea to put the phosban in there even while you have it in a filter sock..just so you don't end up with any in your tank.

Even with a 20% water change weekly, it will take months to actually change out all of the water in your tank. If you have the time, it wouldn't hurt to try and do a 20% change twice a week :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: