peter

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi, guys.
I'm starting up the 125 gallons tank.
What kind of sand can I use for this tank?

And also, can I buy sand from Home Depot?

kenske

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Please do not buy sand from home Depot. You can use all live sand (to cycle faster) or you can use part live and part "dead" argonite sand.

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Home Depot's sand is no longer the same used back in the days.
The playsand they supply now contains high levels of silicate.

You can buy sand at any Pet Store. It depends on what grain size & color you want in your tank.

It's not needed to purchase the bagged, so called "Live sand."

Get the dry kind & ask for a cup of sand from some-one with an established tank.
In a few months all your sand will be "Live."

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
sand

i have a 5g bucket full of sand i just pulled from my tank if you want it, it's the white evs fine grade, was in tank for 7 months. need to know if you want it and when able to pick it up before i toss it

peter

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you for the offer.
I really want it, but it's really far from my house....
I live in Queens... I'm sorry.

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Most sand from home depot contains silicates which are bad for your tank. If you want good sand ESV makes good sand so does Carib sea and natures ocean. They make both live and regular sand as well. PM House of laughter he sells ESV sand.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I have ESV fine grain sand in my two tanks. If you are looking for a sand that looks natural like the one you see on the beaches or reefs, ESV is not the sand you want to use. I also live in Queens in case you want to see what it looks like before you spend your money on it. I wish I hadn't.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
I have ESV fine grain sand in my two tanks. If you are looking for a sand that looks natural like the one you see on the beaches or reefs, ESV is not the sand you want to use. I also live in Queens in case you want to see what it looks like before you spend your money on it. I wish I hadn't.

Even though I carry them, I have to agree to what you said.:shhh:

It looks too much like a pile of salt and I am into natural looking tank.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: