NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
t5 v mh

ok i guess i could help since i ran t5's from the start and just switched to mh. alot goes on what type of corals do you want to keep. as far as color goes i am seeming to have a better pop of color with the mh, only had it going for 2 days though, but i was running 6 t5's on a 62g tank had great growth with the t5's but dont think i will have gotten the color as much as with the mh. my 2 cents

SuRFeR BoY

BooSten Audi A4 -Aim
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
use the search button .. i have started a thread or so on t5s and i have found quite a few when i did a search

but as far as color.. it all depends on fixture/ or over driven ballest (ice cap), individual reflectors, bulb choice and WATER QUALITY. i had great success with t5s and i am currently keeping 95% sps corals (i get good color and growth), a lps or 2 and a few softies. i really dont have any complaints.. i am all for t5s.. if the shimmer is important to you then you have to go mh... as for heat my t5s dont really let off to much heat but i do run a fan anyways so the bulbs stay cool and put out good PAR. wonder if i forgot anything?!

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
i do run a fan anyways so the bulbs stay cool and put out good PAR.

Depends on what temperature your bulbs are at after your turn on the fan. Sometimes over cooling will actually cause the bulb to give out less light. Some brand works better at a certain temperature while others not. Sadly, only some brands will provide a chart of the light they give out vs the operating temperature.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: