Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
What does it mean when polyp extentions on a 2.5 inch frag of blue tort acro is half an inch long on the tips??? I originally thought this was a good thing...But now most of my acros colors are being almost hidden by polyp extensions...
Don't have a camera that will pick up the size, with enough clarity for viewing by you guys and girls...:wink1:

Last edited:

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
I'm looking more and more into feeding the acros now that I have so little fish..How does this sound...The syringe from the salifert kits filled with _____ and aiming at the corals will this do any thing??? I have the room for nitrate and phosphate play...But will I really be doing any good for them...I've heard of feeding corals but never really looked into this matter being that I had so many fish they were def getting something....You fill in the blank...Thank you..

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
I just realized that my 2 breeding pairs are releasing their eggs or babies.Whatever it is into my purple nana colony....Is this good food for the colony??? Because I never see the babies after they spit them out usually at 3 or 3:30 am...

SuRFeR BoY

BooSten Audi A4 -Aim
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
dont use that syringe, unless it was never used before! alsoi woudl say yes the eggs are food for your sps.. also most sps corals start to feed 10 minutes after the lights go out. i always read that the more polyp extension the healther the sps

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Whereas polyp extension is good, extreme polyp extension is not good. It depends on the type of coral but when the polyps are overly extended its a sign of lack of flow because they are trying to breathe harder. Corals breathe by water flow. A few years ago I saw a tank where all the corals had huge polyp extension. At the time I thought cool, but I didn't realize (and thinking back) it was because he barely had any flow in the tank. Although it might not apply to your situation maybe this can help someone.

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Pj cardinals.....The syringe was always used for water collection,I'm new to reefing not poisoning...The last last time I poisoned something it was a accidental methonol dosing into my tank 2 years ago (timer issue) , lol but really not funny....My water movement consist of gen X external 1100gph closed loop....The return pump that's working the skimmer also 3500 gph.. Internal pump 800 gph...2 1200 mj's in the back of the rocks in the corners...I think that's not an issue, butvery informative..
Thanks guys

So what should I feed???

Last edited:

muntai

CEO
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i always read that the more polyp extension the healther the sps
that is not always the case as in this case here. excellent point kimoyo made and i must add, besides flow ; lighting intensity can also cause polyps to "over extention".
however without producing any pics, it would be hard to judge since words can be very abstract and intrepret wrongly.

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
What is your lighting cycle at and concentration. From what I have seen of your tank it is not lit enough from the pictures (please correct me if I am wrong, :) ). If so, then the SPS are trying to elicit food from other sources, i.e. capture.

Pappone would not be able to compensate for lack of photosynthesis.

Last edited:

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
This one:
000_0032_124084.jpg

But I guess if you have all your SPS under the light then you are right, it shouldn't be a problem.

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
My water movement consist of gen X external 1100gph closed loop....The return pump that's working the skimmer also 3500 gph.. Internal pump 800 gph...2 1200 mj's in the back of the rocks in the corners...I think that's not an issue, butvery informative..
Thanks guys

So what should I feed???

thats not much flow at all for a 180

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: