DontXtripNfall

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
update: few more hermits and snails aswell as a green chromis

last 2 pics are the algae bloom .... the others are just the temp aquascape for now.. im looking for an arch like rock to rest on top of those to make it look nicer but its tricky...

there is an SPS coral next to the button polyps but i have no clue wat kind...

EmilyT

Don't diss softies!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
ditto, sorry dude. The Red Sea Max claims it has T5 lighting but its actually PC's in a T5 size if that makes sense....

DontXtripNfall

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
interesting... b/c on the reef central RSM owners club thread there is a person who said it looks like there hydnophora... -- soo there could be some hope!

and the dead spots on it came like that it has nothing to do with my tank btw..

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
DontXtrip,

I don't know if anyone's told you but you seem to be moving way to fast for your own good. You should take a step back and jsut relax. The tanks just over 2 weeks old according to this thread and it's close to as stocked as my tank.

Take your time or your going to lose a lot fo money, and being young I don't think losing money is something you want to do. Take your time bro, it'll work out much better in the end. Dead coral and livestock isnt much fun :(.

DontXtripNfall

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
hey wen u get a good price on coral and tae gave me a few for free too, you dont pass it up.. and plus there a lot of sps on that large rock i got from him.. he broke off the tops to sell but the bottoms had encrusted the rock giving me a frag of everything on it... i just went there for rock and ended up with a lot more... to be honest... if ur tank was new, ammonia at very close to 0 (or 0 now because i did a 5 gal water change yesterday) it had button polyps doing fine, hermits and snails and all the lil hitchikers ive talked about and a green chromis eating like a pig and algae was growing good... would u pass up a rock with a medium sized hydnophora and a bunch of xenia growing on it for a very cheap price?

i know the risks involved but the price of the coral was worth the risk...

sorry if it was confusing to read i didnt know how to get out my thoughts soon enough

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
if you needed to do a water change to remove ammonia i would be real weary on whats beeing added.

Your gonna do what you want and plenty of people here have told you to chill a little since your tanks 2 weeks old, but imo its best to learn from your mistakes. =0) gotto learn your tanks bioload somehow. Make sure you have some Bio-spira marine on hand in case your ammonia spikes. :tub:

And remember, price is one thing and yeah if you lose an animal from rushing you lose some, but the possibility of torturing animals and killing them with ammonia is another issue.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
90   0   0
hey wen u get a good price on coral and tae gave me a few for free too, you dont pass it up..

You will always be able to get good prices on coral if you make friends here, so don't worry about that.

I agree with the other members, you are moving a little too fast. The zoas and frogspawn are fine, but hydnophora is pushing it.

I'm concerned that you don't have your salinity/topoff/water-change process right. You said your salinity fluctuates a lot? That shouldn't happen. 1.018 is way off. Coral will definitely not do very well if you can't hold it to within .001-2. You said something about bubbles on the hydrometer? Are they air bubbles or something else?

You did a nice job documenting your water test results. I know you are probably more interested in buying corals than new test kits but trust me, you need a better set of test kits (something with levels and not "Good" "Bad") and probably a refractometer. It sounds like you are pretty diligent about documenting things so you will have fun with the refractometer and better kits.

BTW, the rock is fine. I had a bunch of the same rock on my first tank. It is coraline encrusted. It will turn white during the cycle and return to green once you get going. There should be a lot of live corals and sponges on there as well.

EmilyT

Don't diss softies!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
DontXtrip,

I don't know if anyone's told you but you seem to be moving way to fast for your own good. You should take a step back and jsut relax. The tanks just over 2 weeks old according to this thread and it's close to as stocked as my tank.

Take your time or your going to lose a lot fo money, and being young I don't think losing money is something you want to do. Take your time bro, it'll work out much better in the end. Dead coral and livestock isnt much fun :(.
heh i am an extremist of that philosophy....11 months and i just got my 2nd fish :lol2:

DontXtripNfall

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
A note with the the salinity issue - That was in the very beginning when only water was in the tank, the RSM hydrometer is very unreliable and a member from reef central was generous enough to send me a spare refractometer. My salinity is 1.025 and has been for a while so I'm good.

I've made a few friends here but I've also noticed some of the senior members like to stick to their own group.

I also did a water change because it has been 2 weeks... I'm sure others wait longer but I didn't see any harm to it, infact it seems to have helped my zoas open up. Not because my ammonia was unstable.

I don't like to be told what to do if you haven't noticed already, I'll listen to what you have to say and take that in consideration while i do things...

BrooklynsReefMan1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Let Bygons Be Bygons And Take This All As Constructive Critisism. It Helps In The Long Run If You Take What People Say Even If It Seems Harsh And Take It As A Grain Of Salt. I Think The Tank Is Looking Good But I Agree I Really Dont Want You To Rush. Your My Freind And Thats Why Im Saying This Dont Let Mods And Senior Members Ruffle Your Feathers. They Speak From Expirience Most Of Them And Ill See You In School Monday!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: