DontXtripNfall

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Hey all, so my tank is filled with RO/DI water and LS +2 LR's from NWA

let me start by proving you guys in the chat wrong, i didnt use tap water like you guys thought i would. :lol::tongueani:wink1:

my LR looks quite different from LR ive seen before. it looks bubbly shapped... it says its from fiji... NWA said its semicured... >< w/e
so can anyone tell me why it looks that way?

LS made it cloudy but its clearing..

i did all my tests and they look pretty good...

pics to follow!

DontXtripNfall

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
pics

pics

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 577
  • untitled6.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 531
  • untitled1.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 512
  • untitled2.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 504
  • untitled3.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 491
  • untitled4.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 472
  • untitled5.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 446

wxl14

Wexel
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same bubbly looking rock. I had my tank ready for fish in about a month but I had about 110 lbs of rock for 90 gallon tank

DontXtripNfall

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
ahhh! yes i forgot salt... i used to much b4 i had anything in it ... levels were off the chart but i brought it under control... its 1.020 and slowly rising... im being very careful this time

BrooklynsReefMan1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Julian im on my dads laptop so the pictures wont load so take the pics to school on your phone to show me....

I thought you would wait.....:tired:
oh well what were your other parameters like ph and gh

DontXtripNfall

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
The bubbles, I believe, are "skeleton" of the coraline algae. They do look like from Fiji

That may be it because a few bubbles got chipped off and it looks like they are a skelton.. sorry if my aquascaping is bland i jus arranged it at the best angles i could see for my hitchhiker search...

Rob ill take more pics on my camera... im probly bringing it to take pics of the assembly for yrbk anyway...

All my specs are on the post it in the pic but ill repeat:
ph 8.1
alk low 0-1.6
ca normal
Update on salinity in btwn 1.022 and 1.023

the red sea max kit doesnt come with phosphates so idk those

DontXtripNfall

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
You need more rock in that tank

I know that but right not thats all i can afford...

anyone know of nice quality rock being sold used or new thats CURED in manhattan plz PM me!

EDIT: My salinity is bobbing around and it keeps screwing me up because i keep messing around with it... the microbubbles build up over night and it the morning its raising the arrow up high, then wen i add some FW and come bac from school its 1.018.. i just noticed this is happening so i will make sure to get rid of bubbles and turn everything off completely next time...

my LR looks like its turning whitish at the top... i assume thats kina bad... most of the rock is still fairly colored but im jus saying the top is fading..

Last edited:

DontXtripNfall

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
here are a couple pics of my tank.. i think the temp may be making the LR turn whitish so i put an ice pack to help cool it down for now.. anyone have ideas wat could be wrong?.. i went to AE and my water was tested and nothing extremly bad.. normal for cycling so it must be my temp or salinity.. you can see the difference in color from the LR i just got from AE on the right and the other 2 from NWA >< and how does my skimmer look should i clean it... how do u clean it?

Attachments

• IMG_1230.JPG
    IMG_1230.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_1231.JPG
    IMG_1231.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_1232.JPG
    IMG_1232.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_1239.JPG
    IMG_1239.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_1241.JPG
    IMG_1241.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_1240.JPG
    IMG_1240.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_1237.JPG
    IMG_1237.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_1236.JPG
    IMG_1236.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_1234.jpg
    IMG_1234.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_1242.JPG
    IMG_1242.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 249

Timbo

Got Reef?
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Your skimmer isn't going to pull much because there isn't much in the tank. Turn your heater down and get the tank temp. to 77-78 degrees. Take it slow and add some more LR when you can find some for a good price. Watch the FS forum.

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Looks gread DTNF. You need alot more LR, and soon. You want to cycle the tank with the Lr already in it, otherwise your going to re-cycle your tank when you add 3x that amount which is supposed to be in there. You will cycle the tank again, even though it might be a small cycle, when you add in the amount of LR needed for the tank. That second cycle will stress or kill things if you add things before adding more LR. Cleaner crew might make it but you might lose some so get ready.

Rule #1 of reefkeeping: Avoid anything that you have to explain " Im short on money so i didn't do it 100% yet, but i started" Your gonna end up losing more money in the process.

I have some extra LR if you need, fully cycled. Its not much but will get you some more lbs while your cycling and should act as good base rock.

DontXtripNfall

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
1 beautiful piece from Wingo added to make my aquascape even better, i flipped over one of the rocks that was turning white upside down and the underside is still the nice green.. so i dont think its my salinity... i gesss not temp now... could it be my lights? there only t5's... hmm??

Attachments

• untitled1.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 223
  • untitled2.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 209
  • untitled3.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 223
  • untitled4.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 208
  • untitled5.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 203

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
The bubbles might also be remnants of an underwater lava flow ( i.e. volcano ). Many coral reefs (think Hawaii ) are built on the slopes of underwater volcanoes.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: