spacenyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
keep on getting great, first-hand, non-sales info here so i will continue to ask. have lots of freshwater equipment so can i just use t8 and t 12 saltwater bulbs in the fixtures? can i use t-5 bulbs in freshwater fixture? i ve ruled out metal halide but will i need a chiller for t-5.

what is the advantage of pc lighting over the t lighting?

i am only planning on keeping soft corals and maybe an anemone, not looking for anything difficult for the immediate future. also all my tanks are less than 2 feet deep except for the one tank that will be fowlr thanks in advance

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
T8 and T 12 lighting is not used on a reef tank, though you could use them on a Fowlr tank. You could also put T5 lighting on a fowlr.

The 'T' bulbs and PC are all fluorescent bulbs but simply configured differently. The biggest difference is in the reflectors.
Many people use PC lighting if they are only keeping soft corals. The usual suggestion around here is to buy the best lighting you can afford as in the future, if you want to keep corals that require 'higher' light, you will then have to upgrade, and it costs more to buy 2 sets of lights than 1 :)

Many will tell you that anenomes require MH lighting....you might want to do more research on their requirments before purchasing your lighing!

cowfish

Psycho-ologist
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
The number designates the diameter of the bulb. Typically people use either compact fluorescents or t5ho for photosynthetic organisms (in regards to fluorescent bulbs). There is a difference between t5 and t5ho. The "ho" (high output) is the one you want for reefs/corals.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Everyone is on the right track, just a bit short on the information. The number following the T represents the diameter of the bulb to a point (as long as you put the number after the T over 8 you'll be correct). Here's how the math works:

The original fluorescent bulb was 1" in diameter. That is a T8 bulb. 8/8= 1 (inches being the unit) so a T8=1"

T12= 12/8 = 1.5" diameter bulb

T5= 5/8 = 5/8" diameter bulb

T6= 6/8 = 6/8" (or reduced the fraction to 3/4) or 3/4" diameter bulb

PC bulbs are just power compacts and normally are 1" diameter.

VHO bulbs (the standard most use for actinic bulbs) are T12 or 1.5" diameter

HTH,
swimmer

jcurry

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can keep most soft corals & LPS under both PC & Flourescent lighting. You can also keep certain anemones under the same lighting. I have 3 RBTAs under 6 tubes of T12 VHO for several years with good color and growth.
Some of the nicest RBTAs I've ever seen were kept under PCs with a heavy actinic spectrum.

BZOFIQ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
T12 are VHO, though they're not going to be making them in the future, as everything will be T8. That what I was told.

Everything will be T5 or smaller and T12 were offered in standard, HO and VHO

T5s also come in standard an HO (high-output) variety which could then be overdriven giving you the VHO effect.

BZOFIQ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Everyone is on the right track, just a bit short on the information. The number following the T represents the diameter of the bulb to a point (as long as you put the number after the T over 8 you'll be correct). Here's how the math works:

The original fluorescent bulb was 1" in diameter. That is a T8 bulb. 8/8= 1 (inches being the unit) so a T8=1"

T12= 12/8 = 1.5" diameter bulb

T5= 5/8 = 5/8" diameter bulb

T6= 6/8 = 6/8" (or reduced the fraction to 3/4) or 3/4" diameter bulb

PC bulbs are just power compacts and normally are 1" diameter.

VHO bulbs (the standard most use for actinic bulbs) are T12 or 1.5" diameter

HTH,
swimmer

You missed the T8 which is 8/8" in diameter (1") hehe but yes you are completely right on the number designation.

The "T" stand for tubular.

spacenyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
thanks for the info

now i can start to refine my questions based on your info. with a fowlr set up what is the difference, or advantage, between having a t8 bulb made for saltwater( for a semi random example a coralife 50/50) and a similiar pc or t-5 bulb.

what would be the difference for the same scenario except i have zoas and similiar low light corals. thanks in advance steve

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
i was using t12's for actinics, and they are fine if all you want to use them for is dawn/dusk simulators. they certainly wouldn't be powerful enough to function as your primary light though unless your tank is as deep as a petri dish :tub: and they weren't powerful enough to really add anything to the halides.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
if it is just a fowler, you really could go cheap and just buy a shop light for lighting, what i did on my african cichlad tank, really no heat and it lit up the tnk nicely for what it was

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: