h20 freak

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, there was an electric current running through a tank of SALTWATER and nothing inside was affected!?!?:Yikes:

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
I recall readig an article(someone on this site posted a link) about experimenting with electrical current for reef growth...and I think the article said that the electrical current that was going through the reef was helping it grow....

anyone know what Im talking about???

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I recall readig an article(someone on this site posted a link) about experimenting with electrical current for reef growth...and I think the article said that the electrical current that was going through the reef was helping it grow....

anyone know what Im talking about???

Yeah I know about that project. Except it was electrical current through metal frames. They would glue frags of whatever they're propogating to the metal frame and then run electrical currents through the frame. The electrical current would help pull the calcium carbonate out of the water and help the frag grow fast. so BAM chia SPS.

Article: http://www.timespub.tc/index.php?id=8

Last edited:

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Yeah I know about that project. Except it was electrical current through metal frames. They would glue frags of whatever they're propogating to the metal frame and then run electrical currents through the frame. The electrical current would help pull the calcium carbonate out of the water and help the frag grow fast. so BAM chia SPS.

Article: http://www.timespub.tc/index.php?id=8

Same principle as silver or gold plating something. Interesting application though.

AlexWasserman

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Oddly I agree with the nails cutting comment. Not necessarily with cuticles, but frequenly I find the salt stings in very much the same way as an electric shock.

I've also had a return pump go bad and start electrocuting things. I found it by unplugging each item in turn. Helps if you have a couple of power strips, turn each off in turn.

I wouldn't use a ground probe as that just gives the current a place to flow to, rather than lurking in the tank...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: