MikeyZO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I do think though that lighting has something to do with it. even when its growing under a rock, some of the lighting does reach those spaces. As my outbreak seems to start, I will see nothing in the morning with the moonlights or roomlights on, then after a day of the actinics and daylight CFs, it will show. Then when they both cut off at night, I can still see all the dark spots on the sandbed where the cyano is sitting. But then by morning, the sandbed will look clear again, even when you turn on the CFs. Obviously as the days progress it gets worse and there comes a point where there is enough on the sandbed that it doesnt go away after the night, but the lack of lighting must be causing it to receed somewhat until the lights kick on. Even though cyano is a bacteria, it is similar to algae in that they both need light to survive.

h20 freak

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say low, if you have high you can't be sure you have 0(or very low) but if you have the low range, you can tell that you have to take action against phosphates.

MikeyZO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
So I picked up an ELOS Phosphate test kit, and it looks like my phosphate levels in my tank are about .05. How does that sound? Is that still too high?

I also tested the water from my AP Tap water filter that I use for topoff and to make saltwater... and it was 0.

Last edited:

MikeyZO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Hmmm... now I just tested my unfiltered tap water and it just got milky white (which I assume is 0), and didnt change to any blue color like when I tested my tank water. Actually thats what happened with the topoff water too.... is it possible that one of the reagents is bad? Is it uncommon to have 0 phosphates in tapwater?

MikeyZO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
well I siphoned about 95% out, and then left the lights off for about 2 1/2 days. Yesterday was the first day the lights came back on. When I got home, I didnt see any. So we'll see what happens. I also picked up a blue dot sleeper (ladder glider) goby so hopefully when he gets nice and comfortable he'll start moving my sand bed around a bit and stir up some of the crap thats just lying there.

da5speed

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
hey mike it chris who bought the hammers from you. Im having the same problem as you are. I also notice that in the morning its gone. Then a couple of hours after the lights are on its back. Let me know if it comes back again, if not ill kill my lights a day or two also.

MikeyZO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Well, here is the update... After doing the whole siphoning thing, a nice size water change, and then cutting the lights for about 2 1/2 days, we are up to day 3 with the lights back on and back to normal feeding routine and there is no sign of cyano. Lets hope it stays that way. I would definately give the killing of the lights a try Chris. Seemed to work well seeing as how I know I didnt get it all out.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: