fishguy23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
I recently moved and unfortunately lost some livestock but everything else seemed ok, after a week of being settled I find that my LS is not really thriving, actually appear to be dying, they consist of mostly softies & LPS. I do not have any testing kits beacause I have relied on my water changes and appearance of corals to determine health. The coraline algae that has grown has somewhat diminished. When I moved I took buckets of water from existing and added about 15-20% of new rodi water. Not sure what I did wrong.......?

Im planning to get a sample of water taken to a LFS tonight, but what could have gone wrong???

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
What is your salinity now? If the tank was missing 15-20% of water and you filled it up with straight RO/DI water, you probably lowered the salinity drastically and quickly.

Did you mean you added freshly mixed saltwater using RO/DI?

fishguy23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
1.023 this am....but assuming I did a 15-20% water change, would it be any different? I brought enough existing water to fill the tank and all I did was add the ro/di water to my sump which I am estimating to be about 15-20%

fishguy23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
I brought a sample of water to another members, and he checked everything, ammonia, nitrate, phos, salinity, alk & ph, everything is fine, this after checking it out at a lfs.........they think it may have something to do with moving around the sandbed in the move, if so what can I do to help stabalize

D1J8Z

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
i would leave it let it sit for alittle and do a water change are your corals still dying?

when i add new frags I add vitamin C and offer food to the tank-been feeding reef chilli

NavyNano212

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I am getting ready to move my 24G nano from Manhattan to Park Slope...and into a new 34G Solana. I enlisted many different responses on how to move my tank...in the LS area, I was told to use some "old" sand to mix with my new sand which I will need for the larger tank. Plus, I want a deeper sand bed in the new tank. I was also told to remove the old sand as
"carefully as possible" as to not stir up the nutrients in the sand. How you do that...I really have no idea. Unless you empty the tank completely, and use a small shovel or net to remove the sand, it is going to stir up and become active. I say this because you mentioned it might have been a factor and doing what everyone has already suggested...waiting and make sure your salinity is correct might be the best option.
I must say, I am quite nervous about moving from one tank to another next week.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: