KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I think using water from the etablished tank is fine ... the whole reason for a QT is so you can treat what you have to treat without messing with the main tank. Therefore having the same water could be crucial to helping in the healing process.

Remember to much change to fast could be deadly!!

The reasoning behind new water in a QT is that the fish already have an issue IN the DT and too frequently that issue is due to the quality of the water in the DT, so why would you want to use more of the same water?

If a person is keeping up with their water changes, then aside from whatever pathogen is being dealt with, there shouldn't be that much of a difference between new & old water.
You shouldn't have your fish in the position that a water change would be deadly due to a huge swing in parameters....

finksmart

SPS Fanatic
Vendor
Rating - 100%
268   0   0
After purchasing a fish trap and played some chess and staring games with the fish, I managed to catch only 1 with the trap, 1 with a cup, which I use to feed and 1 swam right in. Then I got fed up with playing games and turned off all the lights and in pitch dark with a flash light managed to catch every fish. Took less than 20 minutes. Wow. I have to return the fish trap!

Ok so all the fish are in the hospital tank now. Fish tank params are 1.010 salinity, temp 82-83. They're swimming and doing well as far as I can see. The waiting game begins. 7 weeks right? This is gunna test my patience for sure. Any idea on what I should do during this time besides water change?

Here's a picture of the 20 gallon hospital. As you can see I got a moonlight there because apparently fish get more scared in pitch dark than with a little light. That's how I caught them anyway - while scared and confused. ANd to make them feel safe I put PVC's and blocked all 3 planes and parts of the front. Need to get a cover tomorrow.

Attachments

• hospital.jpg
    hospital.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

finksmart

SPS Fanatic
Vendor
Rating - 100%
268   0   0
I'm in my 3rd week and here is the latest:

1. Hypo at 1.007-1.009, feeding daily and water change twice a week. All fish still alive and actually growing bigger. Except my scooter blenny which has not been eating. A member is taking it. This is in the HT.

2. Got some softies to keep me entertained. A side affect of reduced feeding in the DT is that my cleaner shrimps are now eating my snails wtf. Both cleaner and peppermint shrimps are constantly pregnant. I might have to take on raising shrimps.

3. I'm bored.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: