mluz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
I've recently upgraded my tank to a 75. I have a tek light fixture with 8 bulbs on it right now. The problem is I am making a canopy for it and it does not fit very well, so I?m going to get a retrofit kit.

I?m looking for your thoughts on how many bulbs should I buy and if I should get the overdriven bulb/ballast combo. I am planning to buy the icecap reflectors from reefgeek.

I have mostly LPS and a few SPS up top, I would also like to keep a clam or two.

Thanks for your help,
Mario

qy7400

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
The rule of them is 1 bulb to every 3" front to back, so if the 75 is 18" I'd use a 6 bulb for SPS (possibly over driven), LPS/softy you can drop to 5 (4 if you use IceCaps to over drive)

mluz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
I called Icecap and according to the dimensions they gave me I can fit 6 bulbs comfortably.

What I’m still uncertain is if I should buy the icecap ballast and overdrive them to 85w or the regular output ballast.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
< Has A 430 And A 660 With Stand Offs And End Caps F\s All You Need Is Reflectors And Bulbs For 48" I Do Have 36" Bulbs And Reflectors. This Would Over Drive 6 Bulbs Which T5's Is What I Have Been Using On My Sps Tank, If Interested Lmk Rick

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
I have the 6 bulb with icecap ballasts and use them to grow sps well into the 18th month without issues..im thinking about running them longer then 18 months next time actually. the only thing is that you NEED major cooling for the bulbs

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
agreed for the cooling i had 2 fns blowing across mine as well as 2 pulling up and out, and out of curiousity whats the 6 bulb retro costing assuming it is coming with a 660 and a 430 ? lol same thing i had f\s

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
I think he got the triad ballast because he said HO ballasts which is what the triads are labelled as. The IceCaps are Overdriven HO.
And don't sell the 430! Its mine when I get back! :)

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: