Hungriee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
I'm planning on adding more LR to my existing 40# of rock I have in my 37G tank. The tank is fairly deep so I want to scape it as high as possible to keep SPS and any high light demanding corals.

My tank is pretty stable right now all fish and corals doing very well in their current stage. How should I add the new LR (thats supposedly cured from the LFS) to my new tank?

Second, I plan on getting some LR Rubble for my sump - will this cause a ammonia spike or any chaose to my tank?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Best to buy it and cure it yourself at home and then add it to your tank..both the LR for your display and the rubble.

LFS's fequently add newer rock to their selling tanks, so there is no guarantee that it is fully cured.
In this way, you will be sure and can also check the rock for pests first. :)

Cure it in the water removed during your water changes.

Hungriee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Will I need to have lighting for the rocks? I plan on keeping the rocks in a sep tank with a PH to keep the water ciruclating. Can any light do?

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
what happens when you add live rock that is not cured to your tank? Just wondering because i just did it.

depends on your tank setup, if you already have a whole lot of established rock, that seriously outweighs the amount of rock you just put in then pretty much a mini cycle will happen but will clear up very quickly. But if its not that case then you probably just set off another full cycle of your tank.

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Or do you mean uncured as in straight from the ocean, or some other source? If thats the case then you may have also just introduced some unwanted pests into your tank. Gorilla crabs, aptaisia, etc.

ocholoco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99%
96   1   0
hey

well i had the rock sitting around for a couple of months so i decided to added to the tank. It wasn't much I have about 75lbs in the tank that is cured and etablish, I added about 10lbs its that o.k. will that cause a spike?

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Yeah 10 lbs added to 75 is still a decent percentage (13 1/3%), but it shouldn't really affect it too much. But it's not like what I was talking about, like adding 50 lbs to a 75 established lbs.

boardryder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I picked up some rock on my last vacation in the Bahamas. I was hesitant, but couldn't help myself and threw in a few pieces at a time. Wouldn't recommend it, but I didn't really have any problems.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: