JonnyIce

Used as bait
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
So I purchased this reef crab (looks kinda blue legged, big with big shell on it) to start my clean-up crew and when I beefed up my crew yesterday with some hermits and snails he started feeding on snails...he ate two of them already :(. Is he gonna have to be given the boot? Should I be feeding him at all? I threw a couple of shrimp pellets in there and he ate them, but I'm apparently still cycling (high nitrates) so I don't want to feed too much. Ugh. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Edit: I have a 29G Biocube.

Last edited:

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
sounds like he's not going to make a good reef neighbor.
If you had a sump I'd say put him in there. without a sump bring him back to the store or offer him to someone who could take him.

just to be sure he ate the snails when they were alive?

SaltyFlip

Percula Agent
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If you've got pics that'll be awesome. Is it a reef crab with a shell on it? I might be wrong but doesn't that make it a blue legged hermit crab if it does have a shell? or are you talking about the crab's shell shell...kinda got myself confused there. Just as Jhale said, Did you actually see him eat them when they were alive? Could they(snails) have "croaked" and you just see empty shells or he was cleaning the shell from the aftermath of "croaking? If you saw him eat them alive, then you might have to dismiss him as a member of your tank...let us know how it goes.

JonnyIce

Used as bait
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
yea he's not a blue-legged hermit he's got a monsterous shell that seems like a real burden haha. Yea homeboy ate two of my nassarius snails! I saw him go after one right when I put it in the tank and I kinda pushed him away, but it looks like he got to them at night..he like walks around with the nassarius' shell like a little lunch bag...::curses:: I dont have a fuge, because the only place for it would've been second chamber and that is where my skimmer is. I've had a rough couple days with this tank...took a chance on two cleaner shrimp with the clean-u:sad2:p crew and they died pretty much once put in tank...and I did drip acclimate..

SaltyFlip

Percula Agent
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Don't give up on your tank JonnyIce. From what you're saying I think that little critter is teasing you carrying that shell around. But, do take him out. I think right now he's more of a burden and before you know it you'll have to buy snails in batches every couple of days to try and have a clean-up crew. I wouldn't be surprised if he starts bullying the other hermits and eat them especially when they're molting.

ILikeFish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 25%
1   3   0
I just got rid of mine. I debated for along time wondering if he was really eating things... then I got the flashlight out.

JonnyIce

Used as bait
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
(Not my week, my EDGE iPhone closed out while I was typing the initial reply..ugh). He is really slaying things and dragging them back into his layer---yum yum. Caught him trying to chow on my tiger tail sea cucumber this evening! Which means the cucumber is probably going to release toxins into my tank, awesome. So I threw in some pellets to appease the beast. The crab has got to go. Unfortunately I got him at PetCo in Union Square a few weeks back (I was eager to start my CUC and figured a mass chain couldn't screw that up too bad) and I doubt they'll take him back per company policy---and I have no receipt. I would love to trade him for a couple of snails...I don't need full value, I just want some (peaceful) hard workers! Already lost about 60% of Saturday's purchase at Greenwich Aquaria ::sigh::
Wish I had room for a pico tank or something though...he is very entertaining :eek:

JonnyIce

Used as bait
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I'll take pics (if he comes out of his feeding cave) and check params tonight..hopefully the nitrates came down. I would like to keep him in maybe a pico at the office. Would that work?
He looks similar to this, just not as pretty legs.
crab%20blue%20leg.jpg

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
Well if it looks like that it would be a hermit crab.... realistically it shouldn't be a problem, but there are aggressive hermit crabs out there like the zebra hermit crab. I have a couple that killed off my black turbo snails....
It's reef.... kill or be killed.

JonnyIce

Used as bait
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Here he is hiding in his layer...or the buffet station...whatever you want to call it:
2822858133_9f0d56459a.jpg

Nitrate levels are still off the chart...wondering if the extra detritus caused by the serial killer are to blame. I just ordered another bag of purigen, chemipure and a koralia nano. Might have to just do a big water change this weekend. FTS below, stirred a few things up when going after the bag of purigen:
2822858125_a792c952db.jpg

Again, my guess with the nitrates is that the rock I got wasn't as cured as thought.

georgelc86

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
You know, I am thinking that the hermit is looking for a bigger shell. They will kill snails at times for their shell. You might want to head to your LFS and see if you can pick up like 3 to 5 largers shells from their tanks. See where that gets you.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: