probe dms

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
So now that i have a skimmer, I've been looking around on the internet for info on how they work. I came across a couple of articles that say that some skimmer need a break in period to perform at it's fullest potential. Why is that?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Breaking in and how they work are 2 different things..I'll go for the easier question :)

If it's a brand new skimmer, no matter how well you clean it, it will have have various oily type substances left from manufacturing on it's surfaces, and those will take a little time to wear away, along with allowing it some time to build up it's own bacteria on it's surfaces (kind of like 'establishing' itself).
If it's a used skimmer, you should have good bubble production much quicker.

What brand of skimmer did you get?

As far as describing how they work, while I understand it, I'd be awful at giving a good explanation..so I'll leave that to others to describe :)

probe dms

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
i have a seaclone 100 i think. it was used and seems to be getting the gunk out already. im not sure how a great skimmer works in comparison with this one but i can see the bubbles and gunk accumulating in the collection cup. i have a 29 gallon by the way. I've had it set up since march and i have not been running a skimmer until today. Live stock includes a peppermint shrimp a sally light, 2 clowns, 2 dominos, a mandarin, a frogspawn and some zoos. not that much going on. skimmer seems to be working though.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I wish I could say it's a good skimmer, but Seaclones are unfortunately referred to as 'Sea-clowns' by most...but it's good that it is producing bubbles for you. Down the line you may want to consider upgrading to a better skimmer as it will help keep your tank healthier.

Have you been doing many water changes to keep up your water quality since you weren't running a skimmer?
You have 5 fish in a 29G, you have more going on than you think! lol
Have any pics?

probe dms

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
ok last night my skimmer was pulling stuff out and now its doing nothing...its ok though cause it was only 20 bucks. its a good introduction to the skimmer world. i see how they operate now. i will upgrade the skimmer eventually but right now 130 for a skimmer isnt in the budget. i'll post some pics soon!
i havent been doing many water changes. been experimenting with no skimmer and a few water changes. dont kill me kathy but i seem to doing pretty alright. last time i checked the water was out of whack just a tad bit. i did about a 15 percent change. i did have a cyano break out but i added phoszorb to my rena 55 and some snails and its almost all gone. all the fish seem happy.
are there any dj's, musicians or singers that want to trade a skimmer for some studio time? now that i have a skimmer, i want to upgrade it.. maybe i'll try to do a mod for it being im such a modded out kinda guy.

Last edited:

probe dms

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
im in the skimmer world now george!!! its working ok though. I'm getting so addicted all over again. especially since you guys liked my tank. i want to treat my lil friends a lil better. skimmer is skimming though!!

probe dms
aka drink my skim!!

probe dms

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
i should have know something was up when i saw the stock photo. no water in the skimmer or tank and it has skim in the collection cup.
p_517553_FS19628.jpg

boardryder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
haha. That picture is hilarious. Anyway. I'd go with a Remora for a couple bucks more...wait...I did. You should go with a Remora. No worries if it's too late though.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
In a 29g tank, it wouldn't be that difficult to stay on top of water changes and go skimmer free - though the amount of money you'd spend on salt and DI resin would probably come out in a wash with a reasonable used skimmer.

Out of curiosity, is your mandarin eating frozen foods?

probe dms

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
yeah. ive been doing just fine all these months with no skimmer and 2 hang on filters. The seaclone is pulling gunk so im sure my tank is better off now then it was. Still i would like to get a better skimmer. I can actually see the gunk getting removed so im sure id have a healthier tank when i do get the better skimmer.

probe dms

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
oh and yes my mandarin is eating frozen brine. he's on the hunt a lot. soon as i dropped him in the tank he was on the prowl. then as soon as i dropped some brine in there he started eating right away. whew!

probe dms

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I see people talking bout putting a better air valve on the skimmers air intake tube but which one would be good. also is there a stronger powerhead i could use that would fit on the sea clone's tube? Seems to me that if there was a stronger pull of water into the skimmer than there would be more bubbles.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: