CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
I built a sump out of 20 long all glass tank. There are three chambers one intake, one refuge, one return, the intake & refuge chamber both have baffles that are 9 inches high which gives me 3 inches to the top of the tank for backflow (pump fail).

DT is 72 bowfront. My question is do I have enough room in the sump for it not to overflow if the pumps fail, DT will be megaflow overflow?

thanks

D1J8Z

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
one thing u can do is put a check valve on your return so that water doesnt drain down when the pump turns off

2 your gonna have to test on your own for the answer

I think it might but lets find out

artie1209

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Length inches x width inches x height inches divided by 231 = gallons

Measure the differential of tank running and off or should between 1/2 and 1 inch depending on flow of drain and capacity of pump.

check valves fail when you need them (Murphy's law)

use a 29 high same footprint as a 20 long only 6 inches taller.

Dj Orion

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
you can also drill 1/8" holes in your return (at the top right as it enters your tank), this will break any siphon from backflowing from the tank into your sump and thru your pump, if youdont feel like putting a check valve on.

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Well i started putting it all together tonight and hit a little snag when i found out the overflow bulkhead accepts a 1-1/4" I/D hose rather than a 1" hose like the "directions" say. And of course it was 12:30 am.
Has anyone else had tis problem?
Why do they call it a 1" BH if it take a 1-1/4" I/D hose?

boardryder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Plumbing supplies are measured by inside diameter. The bulkhead is a 1" inside diameter bulkhead. So adjust for the thickness of the material and you have the outside diameter, the size of the hose that will fit over it.

Not sure, but you may just need to cement in a 1" piece of pvc and then your hose will fit.

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
I wound up going wiyh a 1-1/4 id hose over the bulkhead, I did all the plumbing with hose. I know this is frowned upon by most but i know myself and i dont have alot of patience when it comes to building. but it all worked out. I am going to post a tank thgread later with some pics.
Thanks for all the advice everybody it was very helpful as usual:tongue1:
Plumbing supplies are measured by inside diameter. The bulkhead is a 1" inside diameter bulkhead. So adjust for the thickness of the material and you have the outside diameter, the size of the hose that will fit over it.

Not sure, but you may just need to cement in a 1" piece of pvc and then your hose will fit.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: