DallasNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Today I noticed about 4 of my florida ricordeas are completely gone. I have had them for about 2 months now and everything looked fine yesterday. I inspected the ones I still have left today and there is no sign of decay or damage. They look perfectly fine. On saturday, I added an Emerald Mithrax Crab to handle some bubble algea I have. I also added a Fromia Starfish.

I don't suspect an infection because I didnt see any signs of one yesterday before or any signs today. I gave them an iodine/Fresh Water dip just in case.

Has anyone experienced thier Emerald crab eating soft corals, Ricordeas in particular? Should I suspect the fromia star too?

I have a feeling I will be spending my night dis-assembling my rockwork to find the Emerald...

Thanks for any ideas..

D1J8Z

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Turn off water flow add food and emerald crab should come out ESP at night

Also when lights are out use a flash light to take a peak at whats going on AFTER DARK :irked:

I dont see the star eating coral.. but the emerald crabs have been known to turn on corals and eat what ever is around when no food present

DallasNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Thanks,

I actually found him doing what he is supposed to be doing.. eating algae.

I also found one of the Ricordias floating loose in the back of the tank. So now I am second guessing myself. I had done a water change yesterday as well and I was a little low in salinity, so added a thick mixture of salt water (about a 1/4 cup) to the tank. I did it very slowly, but yes, it was right over the ricordias that are missing. So maybe they let loose because they didn't like the conditions? That said, I still havent found the other 3.

I will probalbly take out the Emerald anyway, so I can sleep...

D1J8Z

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
there really hasnt been to many documentations of emerald crabs eating coral but there has been OBV enough for sites to let you know they may

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Thanks,

I actually found him doing what he is supposed to be doing.. eating algae.

I also found one of the Ricordias floating loose in the back of the tank. So now I am second guessing myself. I had done a water change yesterday as well and I was a little low in salinity, so added a thick mixture of salt water (about a 1/4 cup) to the tank. I did it very slowly, but yes, it was right over the ricordias that are missing. So maybe they let loose because they didn't like the conditions? That said, I still havent found the other 3.

I will probalbly take out the Emerald anyway, so I can sleep...

sigh....please check salinity before adding whatever water to the tank. I can guarantee you they didn't like it.
If you find yourself in this pickle again..please take the water back out and change the salinity outside of the tank before re-adding it, and only raise the salinity in small increments.
When in doubt, ask here, there's always people around to help out ;)

Hope you can find them & have luck getting them to reattach to rubble (don't glue them! lol)

DallasNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Yes, I knew better about the salt. Laziness takes over sometimes and I have to learn the hard way. I have a container with rubble rock in it for the loose one to re-attach. The Emerald stayed in the tank last night, and everything looks fine this morning. I did check in a few times last night with a flash light and only caught him picking on the rocks.

DallasNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Thanks for your input rGun on your emeralds. I would like to think its the salt, because that's an easy problem to fix. The emerald will stay as long as I don't see anything else disappearing. He is busy all day picking at algae..

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: