ReeferMadness99

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hello Reef Enthusiasts!!

I am relatively new here but I've been spending the last couple of weeks reading my butt off online. The more I read, the more psyched I am to get started! Also, the more I begin to realize that reefkeeping is not a perfect science. I know there are the "mandates" that all successful reefs must adhere to but it seems that everyone has their own recipe for their own systems. This actually makes it harder for us newbies to understand how to put a system together. I am currently working with a small 24 gal. Aquapod. This will be the basis of my education. I am hoping that after about a year, I will be knowledgable enough and financially capable to begin my project.

I'm looking to eventually build a 180 gal. half-cylinder Aquarium with a coral reef tower in the center. I chose this setup because it should allow plenty of open water space for more fish to live without the fear of battling with the reef. The tank will sit against the wall of a smaller adjacent room where I plan to put the actual system. I would like to keep all maintenance with the obvious exception of feeding, algae cleaning, and coral clipping in the backroom. The larger room is to function as the main display only (my own little slice of Zen). In the backroom I also want to have a second shallow tank attached to the ecosystem that will house my coral frags. I'm guessing the whole system will have about 300 gal. to cycle.

Where's the problem in all of this? Well, I have no idea how to blueprint the system. I believe that a good diagram will not only help me understand the chemistry and biology involved in my ecosystem but it will also provide me with a basis of how to start constructing it all. If there are any kind souls out there that can diagram how a good functioning system would look (i.e.- where the skimmer should be in comparison to the calcium reactor, and the sump, and etc...) I would be eternally grateful.

I would like to thank all of the people that post all of their priceless experience on these forums so newbies like myself can appreciate what reefing actually is. I also want to thank Reefkeeping Magazine for all of the incredibly insightful articles they continue to publish online every month! Cheers!

Felix

ReeferMadness99

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
What kind of lighting issues will I run into with all of the coral in the center? (well, I'm probably going to have some around the the tank as well, just the bulk of the reef will be a tall column in the middle)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: