dsgray16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Whats up guys,

I have been on nano-reef.com for a bout a month now and was refered to this site. I live in Manhattan so it will be great to have some local knowedge and support.

Im in the prossess of getting a 12g NC DX up and running. I just added LR (fiji) and LS last night so now im waiting for it to cycle and for the rock to cure. This gives me time to plan the tank.

First off, some things i have added:

Upgraded from stock pump to a Maxi-Jet 900 utility pump
I have a Koraliah Nano power head ready to go in.

I have removed all of the filter media that came with the tank. Im planning on putting some filter floss in the first chamber and Chem-Pure in the second chamber with a little more floss if needed. The other option im considering is to setup a fuge in the middle chamber.

So back to planning the tank.. my concern is that while i wont be moving in the very near future, i will be moving somewhere else in the city by next May. Should i avoid seting up a reef tank and just have a fish w/ LR setup? If i do coral it will be limited to soft coral and shrooms.. how will these fair in a move?

My other question is what LFS to you guys recomend in the city? I have been to New World on 38th and 3rd. they seem to have a good selection of fish but i was less than impressed with the staff (no offense if anynody on here is connected with that place).

Thanks guys! Ill post a pic of my progress later on.

georgelc86

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Definatly check out our vendors they treat MR members like royalty unlike New (cough)World(cough). I personally would recommend Aquatic Express in queens but all of our vendors are great folks. Dont waste your money someplace your not treated right. This may not come out right but I dont think it matters what your have in your tank, what matters is how many stress factors you can control or remove during your move process, thats key. So many people here have moved tanks that contain tons of corals in them without losing anything. Hopefully they will chime in and give you some advice.

dsgray16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Thanks guys, when i do move it will likely be a short distance (i'm not leavig this island) so im not too worried about it.

While im letting the tank cycle should i just have the pump running with nothing for filter media in any of the chambers or what? Also, should i have the lights on durring the day or will that just produces unwanted algea growth?

autoponicz

powered by MR
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
welcome aboard..

having nothing in the filter chambers is fine...you can use some floss to catch the detritus decaying off the rocks...
you can just leave the lights off until the tank cycles...unless you have some nice hitchhikers on your LR that you want to keep...
lets see some pics...have fun!

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Welcome to MR, the friendliest reef site on the internet.

Don't worry too much about the move, you'll probably end up more stressed about it than your tank inhabitants. We'll help get you through :)

Pics please!

dsgray16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
OK iv got a few pics of the setup. Been setup since Tuesday. Let me know what you guys think of the scape job, and the amount of LR to water volume iv got going. Its about 15-16lbs of LR and its 10lbs of LS.

IMG_0792.jpg

IMG_0793.jpg

dsgray16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I tried posting pics up twice without success. I have tried linking them in from photobucket and i have tried uploading them to this site. Both time it said the post was successful but both times the post never showed up on my thread.

what gives?

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Because of your postcount being less than the required number your pics and links must be approved by a mod. It is a security feature for the site. Everything should be taken care of and visible now. :lol2: Get to posting and you won't have this issue again ;)

dsgray16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Ok, i see them now. Thanks guys!

I changed the aquascape a little bit since those pics so ill have to update them.

I installed the maxi-jet 900, what a difference this made in flow! I also installed the Koralia Nano, and im happy with that too.

The only issue i have noticed is that even in an air conditioned room the temperature still climbs from 78 to 80 when i turn th etank lights on. Will this kind of fluctuation be an issue for fish or coral?

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Welcome to MR. Good luck with your new setup. Looks like it's starting out very nice. Always nice to see someone exercising patience and doing research BEFORE adding livestock. Great group of people here, ask questions and read a lot and you'll have a better shot at success.

Keep those pix coming.

swimmer

TheOrganical1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hey I'm a newb with a nano as well. Just set up my 12g last week. I got some real decent live rock, with some hitch hikers and live sand. I still have the stock media in the filter. Someone also was kind enough to cut me off a piece of his filter sock, so thats the only other thing i have in the filter. Can someone give me some suggestions on what to do back there. Right now its my overflow with my heater into bio balls and a return pump. What do I do?

R

rdbiker

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Add another newbie to the list. Just joined today. Nice to know everybody is relatively local. I plan on getting the 12g cadlights in the near future so I'm gleaming as much info as possible. Great advice so far. Was running a 46g freshwater bow tank for a while and I'd like to try my hand at sw. LR, LS and of course a clown and maybe a goby or damsel fish.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: