Matorral

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
theorganical: I took my media out of the filter, i personaly dont like the bioballs and the foam filters. Maybe they are good for a few days but you have to clean them constantly becuase the build up a lot of detritus.

dsgray16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Yeah i only have one spunge in the first chamber right now. I rince it out every other day and and have changed it out once since i set th etank up last Tuesday. I only have it in there to remove larger debrie.

The only thing negative so far is that i dont seem to have any hitch hikers from my LR or LS. Is this a bad thing?

Im away this weekend, but ill get more updated pics up Sunday.

Matorral

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Dont worry they will start to come out, it has been only about a week since you set up your tank right? I dindnt see anything in my tank the first few days. The pods and hitchhickers will usually go out at night, get a flash light and youll see them. Also as the population grow theyll also hang out during the day.

TheOrganical1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
hm

This guy tells a true story, I didnt catch them until I put a flash light to it, and they are few and far between. I got real lucky too, my LR came from someones sump, which is great for pods cause no one is trying to eat them. And also a real good dude gave me a clipping of his filter sock which i just stuck in the tank and scraped everything off on. If you got a good friend who's willing to scrape shome Sh*t off their tank for you it'll do your system wonders.

DrCooper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Hey there, welcome to MR. I am fairly new as well and this site is GREAT. NY Aquarium service has a retail shop which is the best for corals. Also check out Wonderful world of fish in Astoria, great store.
Just post any questions and all the people here are really great about helping you and explaining anything. I ask tons of stupid questions all the time and everyone is real cool with helping me out.
As for your move, I also will likely move in a year but that hasn't stopped me. I will just plan it very carefully when the time comes.
Best luck

MAtt

dsgray16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
So the tank has been set up for about 12 days now.

Parameters:

Temp: 78
PH: 8.4
Ammonia: .035ppm
NO2: .05ppm
NO3: 5ppm

I now have only filter floss is in the first chamber. I moved the LR around some, heres a pic.

IMG_0953.jpg

So hopefully within a few weeks, my parameters will stabilize and ill be able to start adding live stock...

dsgray16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Tank has been setup for 16 days now. Only thing i had happen was some brown algae growth on the glass and a small patch on the sand bed. This went away on it on after about 2 days. Does this mean anything?

Question: I have a friend with an established 90g reef tank. Is there anything he could give me that would help my tank? Im thinking maybe a small piece of LR that has a lot coraline algae on it or something.. and advice on this?

dsgray16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Tank update: 21 days

Temp: 79
Grav: 1.023
PH: 8.4
Ammonia: .035ppm
NO2: .05ppm
NO3: 10ppm

I have noticed tiny white pods of some sort that are on the glass. They def have legs and what appear to be tails. What are these?? Copepods?

Last edited:

dsgray16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
So its been just under a month now. My levels look pretty good. Diatoms went away, iv got pods and i have micro algae growth (green) as well as some macro algae, on the LR. I also have a couple feather duster worms that are our feeding. Im want to start SLOWLY adding a CUC. Maybe get 3 hermits and a snail or something. Should i do a water change now and add the Chemi-Pure to the middle chamber?

Any advise at this stage would be huge, thanks!

IMG_0962.jpg

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
give it another week or so for water change, get some nassareth snails, turbo's around 10 hermits, i like to keep alot of clean up crew in my tanks, never hurts, looking good so far

dsgray16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Alright so i went to New World for my snails and hermit crabs...they continue to live up to their reputation for prices.. but you cant beat the convienence

I now have 6 Nassuria (sp?) snails, 4 Turbos, and 5 blue leg hermits.

Im thinking of picking up another 5 hermits tonight.

What do you guys think?

So what next, wait a few weeks and add fish?

dsgray16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Update:

Tank has been setup for about 40 days now. I did my first water change (2 gallons) a few days ago. Perameters checked out, so i went to the LFS for some live stock. I bought a small colony of brown/grean polyps (or Zoas, not sure) and another frag that has several small green hairy mushrooms and some type of tree (leather?) coral. I also bought a tailspot blenny. The coral are all open and appear to doing great. The blenny is eating ferosously! and seems very happy with the algea he can find as well as the pellets i am supplimenting.

I got the coral and fish at New World ($$$$$) and they recomended that i dose calcium and iodine...which goes against everything i have read. I plan to do weekly water changes (2 gallons), and iv read that this should provide all the calcium and trace elements that the coral should need. Please let me know if this is correct.

Pics of the blenny and coral later on! :)

this is what the polyps look like: http://www.marinedepotlive.com/ps_V...utton_Polyp_Green_Button_Polyp_Green_OS&tab=2

Last edited:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Never dose ANYTHING to your tank unless you test for it first. Depending upon which brand of salt you use, you might need to dose Ca, Alk, Mg. Those are the most common three. Even with these you should not indiscriminately dose. You should always test before dosing them.

Iodine is definitely not an additive you want to mess with. You can create serious problems if you overdose iodine. Therefore test first and then test after........if you decide to dose iodine.

swimmer

Matorral

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I dont add any calcium or anything, I just rigurously keep with water changes every week. If you are keeping soft coral they should do fine. My tank, is also a nano cube, just gets NYC tap water changes, I just let the salt water sit with a pump and a heater overnight before adding it to the tank to get rid of the chlorine. Everything is growing nicely even a monti cap, the only sps I have in my tank.

dsgray16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Heres a few updated pics:

IMG_0992.jpg

True Perc (Thanks krak256)
IMG_0991.jpg

Green Button Polyp:
IMG_0989.jpg

Xenia of some sort? I have a post in the Identification forum for this:
IMG_0990.jpg

bad pic of my tailspot blenny in his favorite hiding spot:
IMG_0993.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: