RaSooch

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello all,

I have been a nano reefer for over three years now and I believe the novelty of running a tiny system like this has worn off. I plan on starting starting a new system but I am a little lost when it comes to the proper equipment, as far as what is neccessary to what is overkill. I would appreciate any advice, crticisms (to a minimum) or feedback from anyone that might have some spare time for an experienced newbie.

I will outline my plan as best I can.

Stocking: SPS, LPS, Softies, Claims, Inverts, A few friendly Fish and possibly an anemone.

-Tank: thinking of purchasing a 120G reef ready tank from glasscages.com. The dimensions are 48" x 24" x 25"T. My biggest concern is this; I do not know anything about these guys. They are not a major manufacturer and I do not know the reliability of their tanks. I know this is an expensive lifestyle, but I would like to keep costs down. Any thoughts on this choice?

-Stand: I plan on building a custom stand and house the sump and equipment below the tank. I would like to setup sump and equipment in my basement but got that idea shot down by my wife.

-As for Ligthing I would like to purchase the Outer Orbit Pro Series HQI/T-5/LED Lights 48" 729W. I am not sure if this is enough light for a reef system with my stocking choices. Should I add any VHO's or would this be overkill?

-Filtration???, glasscages has a custom built fuge/sump to fit the 120g tank but again not sure if this is the best chioce. Not only as for the brand but the method of filtration as well. Being that I am coming from an all in one system, I really don't have much experience with what works best. Is the berlin system better choice than a refugium or is it vice versa, or is it best for a mix of both?

-Pumps, power heads & plumbing: this is a little confusing for me because I am completely lost when it comes to the plumbing protion of an aquarium. I have seen tanks with powers heads placed into the tank and I have seen them with a drilled back with intricate plumbing on the rear of the tank. Are drilled backs only for acrylic tanks? Also what would be the best recommended GPH flow per gallon of water be? Any recomdations on which brand of pumps that whould be used?

-Chiller: I already have a JBJ 1/10hp chiller, is this enough or would i have to upgrade to a higher hp chiller?

This is just the beging stages of my tank set up, so I have plenty of time to change things if neccessary.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies. And sorry for all the questions.

All the best

Deep Dive Coral

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
hello
I will give you some advise but this all from what I have used and seen in my own systems.
As for the tank I do not want to say anything about glasscages being a vendor and such. Someone will chime in on that.
Your system will work with t5ho and the MH combo. Go with 250w system.
Flow: I don't like the powerhead system look. I am using a closed loop. No powerheads and such in the tank. Also you want about a 20x turnover for SPS.
Drilling: This can be done with both glass and acrylic. As long as glass is not tempered.
chiller: I never used one so I'm not sure.
If there is anything I didn't answer I will be more then happy to help with. Just post any questions I didn't answer.
Hello all,

I have been a nano reefer for over three years now and I believe the novelty of running a tiny system like this has worn off. I plan on starting starting a new system but I am a little lost when it comes to the proper equipment, as far as what is neccessary to what is overkill. I would appreciate any advice, crticisms (to a minimum) or feedback from anyone that might have some spare time for an experienced newbie.

I will outline my plan as best I can.

Stocking: SPS, LPS, Softies, Claims, Inverts, A few friendly Fish and possibly an anemone.

-Tank: thinking of purchasing a 120G reef ready tank from glasscages.com. The dimensions are 48" x 24" x 25"T. My biggest concern is this; I do not know anything about these guys. They are not a major manufacturer and I do not know the reliability of their tanks. I know this is an expensive lifestyle, but I would like to keep costs down. Any thoughts on this choice?

-Stand: I plan on building a custom stand and house the sump and equipment below the tank. I would like to setup sump and equipment in my basement but got that idea shot down by my wife.

-As for Ligthing I would like to purchase the Outer Orbit Pro Series HQI/T-5/LED Lights 48" 729W. I am not sure if this is enough light for a reef system with my stocking choices. Should I add any VHO's or would this be overkill?

-Filtration???, glasscages has a custom built fuge/sump to fit the 120g tank but again not sure if this is the best chioce. Not only as for the brand but the method of filtration as well. Being that I am coming from an all in one system, I really don't have much experience with what works best. Is the berlin system better choice than a refugium or is it vice versa, or is it best for a mix of both?

-Pumps, power heads & plumbing: this is a little confusing for me because I am completely lost when it comes to the plumbing protion of an aquarium. I have seen tanks with powers heads placed into the tank and I have seen them with a drilled back with intricate plumbing on the rear of the tank. Are drilled backs only for acrylic tanks? Also what would be the best recommended GPH flow per gallon of water be? Any recomdations on which brand of pumps that whould be used?

-Chiller: I already have a JBJ 1/10hp chiller, is this enough or would i have to upgrade to a higher hp chiller?

This is just the beging stages of my tank set up, so I have plenty of time to change things if neccessary.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies. And sorry for all the questions.

All the best

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Glass cages tanks are fine if you
1) Don't mind sloppy silicone work ( I don't --once it is filled no one notices)
2) You get one of their stock configurations --anything even a little outside the standard and they seem to screw up royally and the customer service in these circumstances is less than stellar.

I have a 8' 240 GC tank that I am very happy with and there are many members that are happy too, but there are also many that are not.

I'd also look into the new plug and play tanks from Marineland. They were on display at MACNA and the workmanship and design was very impressive ( tank. cabinetry, sump etc. ) and the prices seemed very reasonable.

nanchil

Crawling Reefer.
Rating - 95%
38   2   0
I think there are more bad experience with glasscage. AGA has the same tank for a good price. I got mine (75 AGA) from petland discounts. Other than that I think I will go with chief's advice. Good Luck.

RaSooch

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks guys for the quick replies. I do plan on taking it slow and thanks for the input on the lighting and flow rate. That new marine series looks pretty awsome and I'd love to have a 3' deep tank but just don't have the space to do so, it would just take up way too much floor space. The AGA is nice but I can get a glasscages starfire tank for less thank a standard AGA. I have had the idea to purchase on the forums but also though of the age of the tanks. Tanks do not last forever and I think I would like one without any mileage on it, but thanks for the reccomendation.

Thanks again all

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: