SaltWaterN00b

\/\/h47 @ n00b !!!
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I had about 100lbs of live rock from my 55g and only put a little in the new tank because there were things on the rocks i didnt want in the new tank. Currently the rocks are outside drying out. My question is if I want to reuse those rocks what steps do I have to take cleaning and prep wise to put them in the new tank?

probe dms

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
you would need to cure it again. if you put them back in after they have been out for a while you are going to cause a big upset in your tank. ph ammonia nitrate spike. you dont want that. youll need to cure the rock before you put it back in the tank.. if you have no life in the tank then it wont matter you can just cure again. better to do it all at once though.

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
you would need to cure it again. if you put them back in after they have been out for a while you are going to cause a big upset in your tank. ph ammonia nitrate spike. you dont want that. youll need to cure the rock before you put it back in the tank.. if you have no life in the tank then it wont matter you can just cure again. better to do it all at once though.

DMS You hit the nail right on the head!!!

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
How many pounds did you put in the new tank and how many pounds did you let dry out? If there is more rock that you've allowed to "die" than you put in the tank, you will likely have a cycle when you put all of that rock in. If it were just a few pieces, I'd say it wouldn't really matter.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: