Hungriee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
So I've kept my starfish for a few days now and officially chopped one leg off to feed my Harlequin Shrimp. After the surgery, I housed it back in its mini tank; at first it looked dead. But an hour later, its tentacles from its legs started coming out and was moving everywhere again. What a beauty.

Two days later, (today) I woke up and saw my starfish (2 out of the four) melting. The legs were melting, it didn't look too good so I removed teh melting pieces and just fed my shrimp more. Will my chocolate chip starfish regrow, it only has 2 legs left? Does legs melting mean its dead?

I only fed it once this week with phytoplankton.

pmui

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
i would think it was stress and will probably die. If you plan on feeding your shrimp, with a supply of star fish one starfish limbs will not be enough. You will need to rotate the several starfish to let them heal. Also check you water quality. I though C.C. stars was carnivorous.

Hungriee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
I used to feed it a starfish every 2-3 weeks, and yes, after the starfish gets eaten, you would need to buy another one.

The starfish holding tank might not be ideal for the starfish to survive. I used to hold the starfish in my sump until I fed it off

When you held the starfish in the sump, did you leave it in the fuge? or the Return Chamber?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: