DCG1286

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
181   0   0
That is the most wicked case of Aptasia I have EVER seen...WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would suggest getting an army of copperbands...hahahahahahaha...I don't know...I think you will have to manually destroy all of them...I have have best luck injecting them with alk solution. They literally melt and have not come back :D

-David

earl123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
i used kent calc, the dry pellets. I mixed it with boiling water, use the same injector you get with Joe's juice. You may have to do it a few times especially with the larger ones. And it's good becuase you're dosing calc as well! Turn off all of the pumps when you do it. It melts them away. Just watch your levels, that's a crazy amount, i didn't have that many

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Hope you'r able to clear that mess up with what ever method you choose!
Me, I'd cook all that rock and get it over and done with... I've only had to deal with aiptasias twice. A year ago I saw 2 in my 155 got a syringe filled with regular old white vinegar gave each one a shot and have not seen them again.
Last night I did the same thing to the 1 that popped up in my 1 year old 20g which was started from scratch with dead rocks. Now where the he_ _ did it come from is what I would like to know?????????????? No new corals have been added to this tank...
My very best wishes to you Meg!

meagheavz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks i traded the copperband with a bristletail filefish. i heard he does wonders. he ahssnt done to much yet, i think he is scared my tang is being a jerkface...

Pedro Nuno Ferreira

Liquid Breathing
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks i traded the copperband with a bristletail filefish. i heard he does wonders. he ahssnt done to much yet, i think he is scared my tang is being a jerkface...

Hi megheavz ;-)
Give the fish time to know the premisses and feel comfortable in your tank and don't think to much about it as fish (and most animals) can sense anxiety, which could lead them to adopt a secluded attitude.

Should the fish decide not to eat the Aiptasia or due to the quantity, as I could see in the photographs, not be effective, here is a photographic sequence on how to get rid of those anemones with KalkWasser (Calcium Hidorxide and water concentrated solution - 1 American tea spoon for 50cc) and a syringe without a needle:

1038aiptasia2_a.jpg

1038aiptasia3_a.jpg

1038aiptasia4_a.jpg

1038aiptasia5_a.jpg

Obviously due the quantity you have (I presume you still have to much) you will have to do the elimination progressively and consistently. So you select an area and only when it is clean then you move to the adjacent area and so on until you get rid of all the Aiptasia. Should you go or have to go in some cases for mechanical removal, be sure not to lacerate and leave behind any portion of the anemone as it will reproduce by cell division and spread again.
Since you now have a Bristle Fish, make sure that it does not come to the area that you treated immediately after you done so, 5 minutes should be enough to kill the larger anemones which will start by swell, then shrink and disapear.
Well hope this helps and may the force be with your Bristle Fish to fight those :DarthVadeiptasia :)

Cheers
Pedro Nuno ;-)

wrasseman

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
joes juice works great if applied correctly . i've killed hundreds in one of my tanks but my copperband keeps it all in check. you have to be tenatious and dont try kiling all in one sitting say 30 to 50 each day for a week then let the copperband or pepermints at it !

juiceguy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
that is some out break you got there...copperbands are hit and miss as far as aiptasia. joes juice or aiptasia x are pretty good at removing them but you have to stay on top of them. if they don't die on the first try, keep at it.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
best not to do anything in the tank as it can make it worse, joe's, aptasia x and so work, but you let it release spores and poof your worse off then you started, boiling water works, purple up, esv calcium, best is to pull rock and cook it, or pull it and kalwasser coat them rinse rock and put back, dont waste time fighting the inevitable

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Meg..why aren't you doing it out of tank like we had talked about?
I know your concern is losing the biofilter your rocks provide. The kalk paste will work but you should do it OUT of the tank, a few rocks at a time. Figure 30 minutes per rock sitting in a pail of SW after you have injected them. The rinse VERY well with SW and put them back into the tank. You shouldn't have die off (or a cycle) as long as you keep them submerged while out of the tank and rinse them very well before returning (so the kalk doesn't mess up your parameters).

That is probably the choice that will work best for you right now and not cause your tank to be out of business in the meantime :)

meagheavz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol kathy relax, that stuff was taken care of... im going to give the shmp and filefish time to work, im not injecting anything just yet. all that crap didnt work ive used it all. and did u c the tank so im not wasting my money on stuff that isnt going to ehlp me, it didnt do much then it isnt going to help now..:splitspin

ReeferMadness99

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Make sure you get the right species of peppermint shrimp. L wurdemanni will devour the aiptasia like a fat kid at a pizza party. R uritai will ignore it but is often sold as "peppermint shrimp".

Personally, I would have used a Berghia Sea Slug Nudibranch from the very start. Aiptasia is the ONLY thing they eat. And they look pretty cool too. I would really get yourself about a dozen Slugs and let them go to work. Your tank will be aiptasia free in two weeks.

Last edited:

meagheavz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well once again i will state i used joe juice, aipstia x, stop aipstia kalk. boiling water. and it did not work.. it killed fora week and then 5 more came up in its place. i hav 4 pep shmp but they dont seem to want to eat them and bristle filefish, who hides all day. there been an improvement, but i did it myself ive taken rock out and sprayd them with a hose. which blasted off the aipstia. i hav about 5 rocks left that in fested but there are the largest rocks. the other ones were small...they are also the ones with corals on them so im trying to fin other ways to solve it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: