Hungriee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
I connected my plumbing today. It was a tough task since adding pvc primer got all over my valves, so now it looks like a picasso drawing. :splitspin

Once turning on the Return Pump (Eheim 1260) I ran into a major problem, all the water almost overflowed from my tank, so I had to slow down the flow w/ a gate valve. Then my overflow box (lifereef box with aquasilencer) started gurgling. So in order for it to stop, I had to slow the flow from the overflow box to the sump. This reduced the sound of water finally. After awhile, I was able to have an equilibrium of water and flow so there wont be gurgling noise and the tank water level wasn't high enough to spill out. However, the overflow box (the box in the tank) was only half filled; and the return pump chamber was barely covering the return pump; about only 1 inch above the Eheim 1260 (the Return Chamber is about 9" Tall but only 1" above the pump) The only way to increase the water level in the return chamber is to increase the flow from the overflow box to the sump but then it flows so fast it starts gurgling again.

Does anyone have recommendations? Im such a newbie with sumps. For now I shut off my sump since i dont want to wake up and see a flood. Im running the canister to keep my tank going for the next few days till I figure this issue out.

Help!!!!

boardryder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have an external overflow box and to help with the gurgling I plumbed in a 90 on the drain to the sump (helps a little). Also put in some foam to dampen. In the end I think I might just fabricate some sort of plastic cover for it which I'm sure will silence it much more. In the end those two mods are pretty decent at taking the noise level down quite a bit.

Hungriee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
I tried using the airline tubing method, it worked for a bit - but once i tried to increase the water flow from the return to the tank the water rushed into the box; and it started noise again.

the biggest issue is Im nto sure y my return chamber is only half filled and the overflow box is also half filled, while the 1st chamber (skimmer), 2nd chamber (fuge) are both filled to the top of the baffles; then the water trickles down liek a waterfall. I dont have much of a bubble issue; just the water level isnt consistent which scares me.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
However, the overflow box (the box in the tank) was only half filled

I don't have the same model OFB as you but it is not unusual for it to be less than full (mine is about 3/4). I'd guess it depends on the size of the U-tube & the drain used.

Can you post a pic of the sump showing the water levels in it so others may help?

autoponicz

powered by MR
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
adjust the oveflow until its to your satisfactory...if the sump water is low...you can add some more saltwater...at first setup...you will always need to add or remove some water to level out the system...
you didnt say what size tank you got ...and the eheim you have might be too strong for the overflow...

cowfish

Psycho-ologist
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
If the return pump is flooding the display tank then it's probably pushing more water than the overflow is draining. Add another overflow or get a smaller pump. The gate valve thing will work, but it puts additional stress on the pump and will cause it to break down more quickly.

junglebase

Will always be a Newbie..
Rating - 99.4%
166   1   0
Do you have a lot of 90 degree turns on the pipes going from your overflow to the sump? Did you reduce the size of the pipes? It seems like the Eheim is perfect for the Overflow according to the specs. A picture will really help...

Hungriee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
I'm going to take a picture once I get my camera back. For now, There are no 90degree turns from the overflow to the sump; its more of a straight freefall down to the first chamber for the sump. The Return does have a few 90degree elbows in place.

autoponicz