wrasseman

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a fish only system that gets neglected and it hits 160ppm nitrates at times ! doesnt hurt any of them but it is full of tough fieh such as morey eels and some formosa wrasses. they have a ALL been in this water for at least one and some for four years .i would not recomend to do this on purpose but i seriously have to many tanks and spend my time on my reef tanks,they are in beautiful condition. in saying that i do not think that you should add anything ,let nature take its course . if i was to add anything maybe anitrifying bacteria type additive say nitro max or cycle. good luck

UNICORN

Bubbles
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

well i just did a 5 % water change i couldnt waite till tomorrow my readings are still the same. iam not going to do another water change for a few days .

no more chemicals. iall just waite and get a new test kit iam going to order it.:iamwithst
iam using API LIQUID TEST

Last edited:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
ok you guys i have not used any chemicvals today but i contacted amquel + kord:irked:eek:n comp.... i spoke with there DR .something lol and he told me that amquel dose not interfier with the nitrifing bacteria in my tank he said that i could continue to use it and that more than likely my liguid test is faulty and can not properly test the water!!! he thinks that if my nitrite levels were really 5.o ppm my fish would already be dead he said if my fish were eating and did not apear stressed not to worry. he recommended a water test kit of course from kordon .

iam verry confused and i dont know who or what to listen to i know you guys have so much more experience than i do so iam not going to use chemichals to rid of nitrites because according to the great DR at kordon my tank is cycled and iam just getting a faulty reading

? is this man crazzy
? iam i crazzy lol
?could he be right and my tank is cycled and i just need a new test kit?
? has anyone come across this problem getting faulty test using amquel+

YES! This is exactly why I asked specifically which if the 2 products you were using.
Aside from the obvious differences, the BIG issue with Amquel+ is the FACT that the usual array of tests kits that are purchased are useless when you use this product.

I must agree that the person you spoke with at Kordon is correct. As long as some of the Amquel+ product is still in your tank (going to be a long while before it is totally out of your system), you will only get proper readings for Ammonia, Nitrite & Nitrate using the test kits they make.
Their kits are different in that the reagents are usually in tablet form and more than 1 tablet it necessary to run each of the tests (if you do decide to purchase them, please follow the directions carefully).

My advice to you would be to keep up with your regular water changes, pitch the Amquel+ in the garbage, don't overfeed and enjoy your tank! I would break down and get their kits though so that you are able to find out exactly where your parameters are.. an expensive lesson learned :(

Not sure if I asked earlier, but do you have a rodi unit?

UNICORN

Bubbles
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
????

what is a rodi unit or rodi water ?

scince i have had my tank iave only cleaned the gravel once and iam woundering when should be the next time i should reclean the gravel?

at this point there are some areas were i see buildup should i leave it alone for now till i get my nitrite test from kordon or can i go in there and clean up a bit?:tongue1:

iave been reading about skimmers at what size tank should i get one or is that only for reef tanks?

? when i first got my live rock they were covered in a burgandy furry coat now it looks like the stuff came off will the burgendy stuff come back? are my rock toaste

Last edited:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Rodi = reverse osmosis deionization unit
It is what most reefers use to make the water that is used in their reef tanks. In it's simplest terms it removes all impurities from the water. We then add our choice of salt, bring it to the correct temperature and poof... you have water suitable for a reef tank.

Are you using tap water in your tank?

If you can see waste building up in your tank, you should remove it as that clearly means there is too much waste, either from overfeeding , not performing water changes often enough, not enough movement in the tank water to keep the waste suspended until the filtration system reomves it or a very high fish load.

Most folks either go with a bare bottom tank (BB) or they use marine sand (many kinds available). Gravek is usally not used in a reef tank as it becomes a 'detritus trap' meaning the waste gets stuck in between the pieces of gravel and is difficult, at best, to remove.

Do you have a picture of your tank?

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Unicorn, props to you for getting into the hobby. Take everybody's advice here. Forget about that Doctor. Get that clownfish out. You are supposed to have 0 nitrite. Never put anything in with nitrites.

Also as a tip from a fellow noob. Buy an RO/DI, you won't regret it.

UNICORN

Bubbles
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Info

hey everyone let me start of by saying thank you for all of the great helpful input!

well i had a new bottle of amquel + and the nitrite and nitrate test that were alegadly giving me a faulse reading due to the amquel. threw them in a bag and proceded to return all of it

lolol i had to beacuse if i would have kept them here i would have just satrted testing and i would have opened that bottle of amquel

the way i see it is i should have never used the chemical during the cycle
now iam going to just do up keep when needed

i figure in two or three weeks iall go purchase new test and see what my readings are then
i will keep you updated on the live stock hope for the best :splitspin

Last edited:

Pedro Nuno Ferreira

Liquid Breathing
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
iam in conneticut

Hi UNICORN ;-)...Connecticut - Michigan??...

So if I well understood you are some 11 hours by car away....from Uper East Side New York...:snail::banghead:...well aeroplane is faster of course...:lol_large

well...if it is...:scratch:OK...I am much far way than that...;)

Cheers
Pedro Nuno ;-)

Post Scriptum: Well if going on foot, it will be some 8 days and 7 hours.... :)

Last edited:

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Your info says "WILLING TO LEARN" and your location as "NEW YORK"

Please update your location to the correct one as this can help you out in the future with reefers that might live closer to you. Willingness to learn requires listening to the people you are asking for help and taking their advice.

Lets get those living organisms that are in pain out of your tank and into a tank that can sustain their life and start your tank off right otherwise things are not going to go the way you would like them to go with your tank.

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Hi Unicorn ;-)....:lol_large:lol_large:lol_large...coming from me, you shouldn't be surprised:tongue1::Blurp::D, after all although having travelled quite a lot, and even lived several years in Denmark, etc..., I've never been in New York, so my mistake...wow:rolleyes::lol2:

Cheers
Pedro Nuno ;-)

I wouldn't worry about it Pedro, no matter how you look at it he doesn't live in New York.

Unicorn,

You should update your profile. We have alot of members who live in Ct. and if you update your profile there may be somebody local who may be willing to help you out by holding livestock etc. etc.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: