Pro:
Less dust and room dirt in the tank
Less evap

Cons:
Less gas exchange
Less cooling
Less light passage
Worse top viewing

Any one want to correct me or add to the list?

Last edited:

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Pro:
Keeping your fish from jumping out.

You can also use the type of cover that Kathy makes, which is made of pond fish netting. This will take away some the of cons on Keith P list, like gas exchange, cooling and light passage, plus it keep your fish inside the tank as opposed to the floor.

Pedro Nuno Ferreira

Liquid Breathing
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always had open top tanks.

Does euro-bracing help with jumpers? I really want a blue spotted jaw fish (a known jumper).

nybb1001 said:
should we use tank covers? what are the pros and cons?

Hi nybb1001, Keith P, everyone ;-)

About the pros and cons several members already said it all and yes Keith euro-bracing helps but is not 100% full proof. Personally I do not have tank cover and that already cost the lives of several fish, so if I take action I definitely go for KathyC solution such as showed in the photograph

P8050012.jpg

Also this approach is also used to adapt corals to new lamps and/or light intensities, which in such case, several levels of net are used and are progressively removed one by one on a daily basis, thus allowing the coral to gently adapt it self to the new and further increasing light intensity, especially for new arrivals.

Cheers
Pedro Nuno ;-)

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
lol Pedro, that tank 'cover' (and I use the term VERY loosely!...lol) was what I put over my tank (knowing I have fish inclined to jump) at about 3 AM after a very long day during my last upgrade.

This is what the finished cover looked like for that tank ..
FeedingDoor.jpg

After having my Royal Gramma jump through egg-crate (has too large an opening for many jumpers, and seriously interferes with lighting getting to the corals) right past me, I'd decided something else was needed and came up with the cover design you see in the pic. I haven't lost a fish due to jumping since, nor does the netting material interfere with lighting (the use of the acrylic edging doesn't throw a light limiting shadow either), nor does it become brittle over time :)

Regarding pros and cons of solid covers - IMO there are only cons in using them. At best, they may slow evaporation but then you are also retaining more heat in the tank. Not worth the trade off IMO. Add the effective of reducing what lighting enters the tank (think of the $ you are paying for that..) and the reduction in gas exchange (important!!) and they become a lose-lose situation. :(

Last edited:

nybb1001

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol Pedro, that tank 'cover' (and I use the term VERY loosely!...lol) was what I put over my tank (knowing I have fish inclined to jump) at about 3 AM after a very long day during my last upgrade.

This is what the finished cover looked like for that tank ..
FeedingDoor.jpg

After having my Royal Gramma jump through egg-crate (has too large an opening for many jumpers, and seriously interferes with lighting getting to the corals) right past me, I'd decided something else was needed and came up with the cover design you see in the pic. I haven't lost a fish due to jumping since, nor does the netting material interfere with lighting (the use of the acrylic edging doesn't throw a light limiting shadow either), nor does it become brittle over time :)

Regarding pros and cons of solid covers - IMO there are only cons in using them. At best, they may slow evaporation but then you are also retaining more heat in the tank. Not worth the trade off IMO. Add the effective of reducing what lighting enters the tank (think of the $ you are paying for that..) and the reduction in gas exchange (important!!) and they become a lose-lose situation. :(

Kathyc, this is very neat, I like it.
in the future if I get I goby or any jumper, I definitely will try to make one like yours, I just don't know if it is easy enough for me to DIY.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: