Malibu361

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Ok,here is the thing i have had a 75 gal. reef tank now for about 5 years and so far so good but needless to say I have let my tank go ..I am looking to get back into it the right way and need some of the right help..I have power compacts now with cheapo Ebay bulbs any suggetions on the right bulbs and how long to leave them on ?? Its a JBJ 4 bulb power compact unit (2 actinic ,2 day ).Also what tap water filter should i go with To make the water currently I have an Aquarium Pharmacutecal Deionizer ( I hear I need better )How often should I do watrer changes and how much ?I will be starting a new reef tank once I find a decent 75 gallon reef ready tank .so prett much starting from scratch but have most of the stuff live rock ,sand refugium etc ..etc ..Thanks in advance for any help Sal

Last edited:

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
sally boy.another ironworker on the site.get the ro/di.a 10 gallon water change a week.get yourself a phosban reactor and even a carbon reactor u can use 2 phosbans 1 for ur phosban and 1 for carbon.use maxijet 404 for phosban and something a little stronger for carbon.by the way he has t-5 lights just let us know what wattage u are using for bulbs.write all the equip u are using for your setup and what ur future plans are.glad to see ya on.by the way got home in time to get daughter to religion

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Hey Sal...
Welcome.

You're gonna hear a ton of different advice, options, brands, etc.
Best to know what you plan on keeping & work it from there.
Our forum is very informative.
Read, read read:)

Light schedule depends on what type of livestock you intend to keep (corals, etc.)
Can't keep much with PC's.
Keep in mind the longer you leave them on, the quicker you need to replace them.

1 thing for sure..is invest in a RO/DI water filter.

Malibu361

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
67   0   0

MikeyZO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
That RO/DI unit has a horizontal DI chamber, which many believe to be inferior due to
a) the smaller size chamber (and smaller amount of resin)
b) having to change the cartridge is more costly then having a refillable chamber
c) amount of time the water is exposed to resin is shortened due to its horizontal position

I would check out one of the MR sponsors that deal with RO/DI units. Buckeye Field Supply is great, and their customer service is second to none. Russ will also check out other units you are interested in and compare them to his Buckeye Unit and will honestly tell you if it is better, equal or worse.
http://www.buckeyefieldsupply.com/

Edit - just noticed that this one has a refillable chamber. So thats better than the cartridge, but is still only 1/2 the amount of normal resin. Also, the sediment and carbon blocks that Buckeye uses are much better as far as micron size (they use 1M and .6M I believe), and their carbon block is rated for 20,000 gallons. And you really dont need that tank unless you plan on hooking it up between the RO membrane and the DI chamber for drinking water.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: