Malibu361

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Refuguim (ecosytem ) or sump?

My question is which should I go with ,I have an ecosytem refuguim now and that is my only means of filtartion along with a skimmer..I am getting into the hobby a little bit more serious now ,going from a 75 to a 90 reef ready tank and getting phos and carbon reactors..would it be wise for me just to make a sump and put all that in there along with my skimmer or stick with my refugium and run everything into and out of that ??Thanks Sal

Last edited:

Malibu361

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
what do you think about the refugium pretty much useless if I want to get serious? And what size sump (tank ) would you reccomend for a 90 gallon?And I am trying to search on here how exactly to lay one out any help would be great ..Thanks Sal

lunner

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Which Ecosystem refugium or sump you have? I have the 3012, 30x12x16. I think it depends on which size you have. If it is the bigger versions, why not just use it as a refugium? Save the money for something else. Also I prefer external skimmer myself, you can just run an external skimmer from the overflow. I put the heater, probes and filter sock in the first chamber, refugium in the middle and run carbon and phosban reactor in the 3rd.

Malibu361

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
I just measured mine and it is that one same exact dimensions..what size tank is this supporting ?Will it be enough for a 90 gal reef tank with mainly coral and about 5 fish?Do you run bio balls in yours??any pics?Thanks Sal

lunner

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I think it is enough for a 90gal. If it was me, i would use that extra money and buy a better external skimmer. I took out all the bio-balls.
DSCN0672.jpg

Malibu361

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Ok ,another question what size pump and line should i go with ?I currently have a uv sterilizer in line but I am changin to a reef ready tank ..How would I run my uv?Lunner where is that pvc running in your refugium??Thanks

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: