Malibu361

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Questions about a new tank and adding rock

I currently have a 75 gallon in not too great shape I am looking to upgrade and of course add more live rock to a 90 reef ready tank my question to you is ..How long should and how do I cycle my new live rock ?Can I just add my existing water and live rock with new live sand or regular aquarium sand and a few cups of seed sand ??Or will my tank need to cycle all over again??thanks

Last edited:

georgelc86

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0

During a transfer, there is die off of organisms that would cause an ammonia spike, you pretty much would have to let the tank cycle again. I think that since you have existing sand and rock you don’t need any seeder sand because not all the beneficial bacteria dies off.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
when i transfered my rock and some sand i didnt have any ammonia spike.i checked everyday for a week.i transferred my remaining corals without any ill effects.the only thing that happened was a slight drop in ph.plus i added new sand and used around 3 or 4 cups of sand from old setup.i used all the water from old setup as well.

Malibu361

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Well in my current tank I have a clown and a tang and some coral so the swap will be done in a day so I would like the tank to be ready and not have to go through the wholw cycling again ..

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: